We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

M<y 2014, why are hotels expensive

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,215 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
M<y 2014, why are hotels expensive

I am looking to attend a family event next May, weekend of 17th, around Castlefield. All the hotels I have looked are more expensive for that weekend. Even Premier Inn is a ridiculous £99 for Saturday night.

Anyone know why? Is there something special on.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: M<y 2014, why are hotels expensive

Are they looking more expensive than the weekends before and after?

Just that you might be looking too far out. Suggest you keep checking and eventually they will likely come down.

United being at home is one of the main reasons weekend hotels are expensive (not sure they go up in price that far out though) and anyway the season finishes the weekend before.

Oh, it's the Manchester 10k on Sunday May 18th. That might be it. 40,000+ runners, officials and spectators in the city for that.... + the usual weekend events at the arena and theatres....

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: M<y 2014, why are hotels expensive

Just had a quick look via www.hotels.com and can see the following, which are all pretty good based on the standard of the hotels in question:

The Lowry (5*) £203

Novotel £95

The Midland £125

Double Tree £109

Abode £119

Marriott Victoria & Albert £115

MacDonald Townhouse £107

Radisson Blu Edwardian (5*) £157

Park Inn £109

Many of those are with free cancellation, so why not book one that suits and then keep an eye on prices to see if any go down and you can cancel and re-book there or somewhere else.

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,215 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: M<y 2014, why are hotels expensive

Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately waiting is not really an option as we also have to book flights to the UK and they go up in price as the date gets near.

Manchester
Level Contributor
401 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: M<y 2014, why are hotels expensive

Do what Ret says, book one of those hotels now which offers free cancellation then if you find something cheaper nearer the time cancel it and book else where. All of the city centre is compact too so if you can't find anything cheap enough in Castlefield there are other parts.

Glossop, United...
Level Contributor
69 posts
351 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: M<y 2014, why are hotels expensive

If you go on laterooms.com they have the Holiday Inn on liverpool street on sat night for £75 or the Holiday Inn express on oxford road for £80. For a sat night you won't get cheaper for city center accomadation.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,810 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: M<y 2014, why are hotels expensive

OK, check out some places out of town. So, Sale/Altrincham are both less than 20 minutes tram ride to Castlefield, and both have loads of hotels, many of which are within 10 mins walk of the tram.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g1022653-Sale_Great…

Not that I have any financial or other interest in it, but the first one, Oakfield Court, is less than 50m from my house, and more importantly less than 10 mins walk from the tram...

Edited: 01 November 2013, 00:18
Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,810 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: M<y 2014, why are hotels expensive

...and looking at the Sale list, they are all within reasonable walking distance of the tram except the Premier Inn.

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,215 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: M<y 2014, why are hotels expensive

Steve.. Thanks I appreciate your input, but out of town is a no from my wife, a 10 min walk and tram ride in her best shoes and dress doesn't appeal. The event will probably go on into the night a bit so the trams will have stopped running by then, so we'd have to add on a taxi ride or 2.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,810 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: M<y 2014, why are hotels expensive

Trams stop at about 0030 on Fridays and Saturdays.

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,215 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: M<y 2014, why are hotels expensive

Thanks Steve, big family reunion so will go on long past 0030