We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Metrolink

wales
Level Contributor
534 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Metrolink

After differentiating between Metrolink and Metroshuttle (tram and bus) we duly arrived at Picadilly Rail station and used the Metrolink to take us to Salford Quays.What a fine system we thought intending to purchase the group day travelcard everyday for our 3 day visit.

Well it was until Metrolink decided to cancel service for maintenance but instead laying on metrolink buses, how did we know the service was cancelled ? it was on the digital signs at the Metrolink station the only problem was it did not tell you where to go for the buses.

At Salford we initially stood in the wrong place, but it was Picadilly Gardens that turned into a run around, imagine it was raining cats and dogs and there we were asking bus drivers where was the Metrolink stop, a few remarked sorry mate we work for a different bus service then after walking and asking at various bus stops we found the stop 300 yards (by now soaking wet) down a sidestreet.

Metrolink short yourselves out and give non Mancunians information on a your digital displays.

Edited: 05 November 2013, 21:08
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,681 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Metrolink

What was Metrolink's response when you wrote to them to complain?

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,346 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Metrolink

I guess this was last weekend? I'm afraid there have been a number of days recently when at least part of the network has been closed. It's usually on a Sunday, sometimes Sunday morning only, but last week it was all weekend! Crazy! I was going to use the tram to/from Altrincham on Saturday, and didn't know they weren't running till I drove past the forlorn stragglers at the replacement bus queue. The buses are only to be used in extreme circumstances anyway, as they trundle up and down the main roads but have to take diversions to call in at all the stations - at least that's what happens in my part of the world.

I'm sorry if it spoiled your trip; for future reference, on the home page of their website they indicate if there are any problems with the service, and if buses are being used they have links to pdf maps of where the bus stops are. Not much use if you're already standing in the pouring rain at the tram stop I know, but hopefully this may help someone. They should also make announcements, and there is a call button on the platform, but it's supposed to be for emergencies.

The network has been dramatically increased over the last few years, and unfortunately breakdowns and scheduled maintenance are becoming ever more frequent. They need to get it sorted, and quickly!

wales
Level Contributor
534 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Metrolink

Metrolink response "a reply within 15 days" from yesterday.

Personally, maintenance is essential but as a visitor the replacement bus service could have been handled better.

Thanks

Manc_Brel
Level Contributor
187 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Metrolink

Thanks to Metrolink I was forced to abandon my trip to work on Monday, and work from home. Then on Tuesday, despite allowing ample time, I was 15 minutes late for the Opera. But give them their due, the announcements were in Russian for the CSK Moscow fans. Unfortunately though, they couldn't be bothered making an announcement English to explain why the line I was on had a skeleton service.

Edited: 06 November 2013, 21:28
Manchester
Level Contributor
27 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Metrolink

Is this the right place to come to complain about transport services?

wales
Level Contributor
534 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Metrolink

This is the correct place to assist other visitors to Manchester, as i stated above my complaint was sent to Metrolink earlier this week and still waiting a reply.

7. Re: Metrolink

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 November 2013, 17:05
Manchester
Level Contributor
401 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Metrolink

Metrolink have to close the lines for essential improvement work and weekends are the best time because the trams busier in the week (peak times) when people rely on them for work.

The issue here should be lack of signage etc, rather than the line closures which cannot be helped.

wales
Level Contributor
534 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Metrolink

Thank you Mancjd82 my sentiments exactly !

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
65 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Metrolink

When the Metrolink is working its fantastic.

However as a daily user I am starting to get fed up of the trams failing (always at Cornbrook) and there not being enough trams on during rush hour. This morning, we had smoke coming in to the train due to something wrong with the breaks on ice which meant I was late for work YET AGAIN and I had to walk 20 minutes in the freezing cold to work.

I have written to them numerous times and always get the same response saying that they always trying to improve and using investment to make the network better blah blah blah. I think they should concentrate on the network and the trams they currently have and get them from 70% to 100% before expanding and jacking up ticket prices!!!