We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public transportation from Manchester airport to cicy center

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
235 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Public transportation from Manchester airport to cicy center

Hi there!,

I'd like to know how much would it cost to get to Manchester downtown with train or bus and how long does it take?

thank you!

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,630 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public transportation from Manchester airport to cicy center

Trains every few minutes, 14-25 minutes journey time to Manchester Piccadilly (depending on number of intermediate stops), single fare £4.80 peak, £4.10 off-peak.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
235 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public transportation from Manchester airport to cicy center

Thank you!

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
235 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public transportation from Manchester airport to cicy center

Just another question. We are going to Manchester for the football game Manchester City-Barcelona. Do you think it is easy to get a taxi at the end of the match? I have the possibility to book a taxi transfer but I do not know where to say the taxi driver to wait for us ? is there any hotel or restaurant close to the Stadium to wait for the taxi there in case I book it?.

Thanks again for all your help

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,019 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public transportation from Manchester airport to cicy center

Are you going straight back to the airport, or staying the night in Manchester? If you re going back to the airport, or staying in the city centre, I suggest you walk back into town to the station or hotel as appropriate. It's about 25 minutes walk from Piccadilly to/from the Etihad. There is a tram stop right by the stadium, but it will of course be VERY busy! Taxis will be hard to meet up with, though you may be lucky and find one 'cruising' on the main road.

Incidentally, if you are travelling back to the airport on the same day, get a return train ticket for virtually the same price as a single when you arrive.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
9,039 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public transportation from Manchester airport to cicy center

Where would you want that taxi to take you ? Are you flying straight home from the airport, or are you staying overnight in Manchester area ? If staying at hotel in city centre, then walking is better than taxi - all depends on exactly where to.

PS - typing overlapped with the post above.

Edited: 22 January 2014, 11:46
Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
235 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Public transportation from Manchester airport to cicy center

We are coming back to the airport the same day with a special flight that vueling has scheduled, after the match, and I do not know till what time we could take a train to the airport and how far it is the train station from the stadium. I can book a taxi in internet but I do not know where to tell the taxi to wait for us. Tha'ts why I would like to know if there is a hotel or a restaurant close to the stadium just to tell the taxi to wait for us in front of Hotel X or restaurant X in street X, some place where we can go walking after the match and wait for the taxi there.

thank you!

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,019 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public transportation from Manchester airport to cicy center

The trains to the airport run very late, I think the last one is 0015. The match will be over by 2200, and you should be back at Piccadilly station by about 2230. There are trains at 2247, 2250, 2315, 2345, 0005 and 0015:

…nationalrail.co.uk/service/…outwardJump

What time is your flight back?

The walk is easy enough, many people do it every match. It's about 3km each way. If you look at Google earth you can see it's more or less a straight route, much of it along main roads.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
235 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Public transportation from Manchester airport to cicy center

The flight leaves at 00,45. Thanks so much for all your help

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Public transportation from Manchester airport to cicy center

I'm afraid that it will not be as easy as turning up at Piccadilly Station and jumping on a train to the airport. The last train is around 9:00pm. To enable the construction of an extra platform at the airport station, the late train services are being replace by bus services. I can see the buses being crowded.

I've copied and pasted this from The TransPennine web site.

"Evening / overnight services to / from Manchester Airport - 30/12/2013 - 21/03/2014

To enable the construction of a fourth platform at Manchester Airport station, late evening and overnight services (from Monday evening to Friday morning) between Manchester Piccadilly and Manchester Airport will be operated by buses.

Full details can be found in our current timetables

Replacement buses at Manchester Airport will depart from stands L & M in the ground transport interchange.

Replacement buses at Manchester Piccadilly will depart from the bus stands outside the main station entrance.

Journey time between Manchester Piccadilly and Manchester Airport is 25 minutes."

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,019 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Public transportation from Manchester airport to cicy center

I'm so sorry, I didn't notice that bit on the timetable page - it does clearly say 'bus service'. And I think 25 minutes is very optimistic for a bus from Manchester Piccadilly to Manchester airport..

Edited: 22 January 2014, 14:49