We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice village or town

London, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Nice village or town

Hi looking for a nice village or town near to Manchester to spend a few nights while we visit for a concert in Manchester,any advice welcome

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,010 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice village or town

Why not stay in Manchester?

It's not that bad - I go there all the time, and I'm from Liverpool! ;-p

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
374 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice village or town

I was pleasantly surprised by Stockport – Tudor buildings, a good market, a nice little art gallery, a brewery that runs tours ... I made a mental note to go back some time.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,460 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice village or town

Help us to advise you.

Who is "We"?

When are you planning to visit?

Are you travelling by car and how many need accommodation?

Your budget for hotel per room per night(?)

or

http://www.booking.com/

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
8,537 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice village or town

Hi, please can you give a bit more info about your preferences and plans. It's an interesting / unusual qn.

There's hundreds of towns/villages within about a 20 mile radius (all directions) of Manchester city centre. I live in one of them; better than most with interesting historic features in and near nearby, it could suit but never thought of recommending it over Manchester centre (as it restricts accommodation & eating options for instance; not as small or as nice as Jasper though, I've spotted that in your other recent post).

So - what sort of things would you like to do during the days and in the non-concert evenings? Will you have a car or is it public transport ? What sort of accommodation - small B&B, or Premier Inn-type or larger hotel ? Which month and is the concert at Arena or Etihad?

Stockport
Level Contributor
83 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice village or town

Cannot got far wrong with Marple, 20 minutes away from Manchester by train, Good local restaurants including Saffron, excellent local cinema, and lots of good local Robinson's pubs.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice village or town

I'd recommend staying in the city centre and then travelling out if you want to see any nearby towns or villages. If you definitely want to do it the other way round then, as already advised, there are literally 100s of towns and villages to choose from!

My recommendation would be Knutsford, a very nice Cheshire town with Tatton Park on its doorstep with good links into Manchester and particularly handy if you're arriving by car from the south.

7. Re: Nice village or town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2015, 20:29
Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,466 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice village or town

As Howard says, Chorlton/Didsbury is very pleasant - sort of Notting Hill (ish) area. Big country park, good pubs and restaurants. Not quite what a southerner would imagine Manchester to be.

9. Re: Nice village or town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2015, 05:19