We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Manchester Picidally Station to Old Trafford Football G

Which Manchester hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
145 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
From Manchester Picidally Station to Old Trafford Football G

I will be going from Manchester train station in Manchester to Old Trafford which bus or tram do I get from the train station.Many Thanks for your help

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,448 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Manchester Picidally Station to Old Trafford Football G

Are you sure it's Piccadilly (if you're coming in from the airport it will be)?

2 routes - the easiest to describe is probably the Altrincham tram to Old Trafford, get off, cross the tracks, walk straight along past Old Trafford cricket ground, carry straight on over the main road and the football ground is about 5 minutes further on, across a second main road.

You could get an Eccles/MediaCity tram to, I think, Exchange Quay. I'm not too sure of that route, and those trams are less frequent. Someone else will tell you I'm sure.

You have to buy your tickets from the machine on the platform before you get on. A day return will be about £3.50, or a day pass to all trams about £5. Don't bother with a single unless you're not coming back lol. It's only about 10p cheaper than a return.

The tram platforms are under the main station - go down the escalator towards the left as you come off the platforms.

Is this a match day or not?

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,810 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: From Manchester Picidally Station to Old Trafford Football G

I believe that you are coming from Liverpool, if that's the case, catch one of the trains from Liverpool Lime Street Station that stops at Deansgate Station. Deansgate Station is connected to The Metrolink Tram System.Those trains are slow stopping trains, the express trains don't stop at Deansgate. There's no point in going all the way to the stations in city centre.

You can catch an Altrincham, or an Eccles/MediaCity tram from The Deansgate-Castlefield tram stop. I would catch an Altrincham tram and follow Steve's advice for the route from Old Trafford tram stop to the stadium.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Manchester Picidally Station to Old Trafford Football G

If you are getting the tram I always prefer the Eccles line and get off at Exchange Quay, when it's match day. I find it's less busy than the more obvious route on the Altrincham line to Old Trafford. It's still busy coming back on both routes, but less so at Exchange Quay.

Have a look at www.metrolink.co.uk/ it will give you a better idea of you bearings.

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
796 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Manchester Picidally Station to Old Trafford Football G

If it is on a match day then you can also get a train from Piccadilly or Oxford Road which stops at the old Trafford train station which only operates on a match day and is right behind the stadium. Exit from the station platform bring you out at either end of the Munich tunnel under the South Stand.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
7,601 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Manchester Picidally Station to Old Trafford Football G

Hi bankso...

From your question on the Liverpool forum about getting to Old Trafford for 11am, I'm guessing that it's a stadium tour rather than a match ?

If that's the case, and assuming you've booked your tour for a 11 am start, just a note to advise that it's best to get to the stadium by about 10.30 ie about 30 mins before actual tour start-time.

I would get the tram from city centre; if an Altrincham tram comes then get that one and alight at Old Trafford Cricket Ground; if an Eccles/Media City tram comes then get that and alight at Exchange Quay. In both cases it's then just under 10 mins walk to the stadium

6. Re: From Manchester Picidally Station to Old Trafford Football G

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2015, 06:19