We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Manchester to Chester

utah
Level Contributor
290 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Train Manchester to Chester

Hello -

I will be arriving in Manchester from Amsterdam on the 8th of March and need to get to Chester (for business travel). I've never driven on the Britt side of the road, so I'm thinking the train will be a better solution for me than renting a car to drive. Can anyone walk me through the best way to take the train from Manchester to Chester (talking me through it like I am an idiot since I have never been to the UK).

Thanks!

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,287 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Manchester to Chester

There is a direct Arriva Trains Wales service from Manchester Piccadilly to Chester. It takes about an hour.

Check schedules and book tickets direct on www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
1,628 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Manchester to Chester

Have a look at www.nationalrail.co.uk/ you need to get the train to Manchester Oxford road from the airport. Change there for the train to Chester. It's about 1hr 30mins including the change time. Price of the ticket depends on what time you go and whether you return on the same day.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
1,628 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Manchester to Chester

I'm assuming you coming in to Manchester Airport. You will need to change trains if so.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,287 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Manchester to Chester

But only at Piccadilly from the Airport. Direct Arriva Trains Wales service leaves from there. No need to involve Oxford Road. ;-)

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
1,628 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Manchester to Chester

Sometimes it's works better to change at Oxford Road, as there is often no change of platform when you arrive. It's often the same platform for the Chester train. Piccadilly sometimes has a longer walk when changing. As the OP is new to the town, I thought it would be a easier option.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,287 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train Manchester to Chester

Sorry, never thought of that. ;-)

But check schedules on www.nationalrail.co.uk first to find the best options available.

Not worth hiring a car for though.

utah
Level Contributor
290 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train Manchester to Chester

Matt - thanks for your response, but now I'm even more confused. What is Picadilly, Oxford Road, and that Wales reference? I really do need it explained to me like I'm a child.

Thanks

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Train Manchester to Chester

Piccadilly is the name of a station in central Manchester

Oxford Road is the name of a station in central Manchester

The Wales reference is the name of the train company that runs services from Manchester to Crewe

So you get a train from the airport station into central Manchester, change trains and get another train to Chester.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
1,628 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train Manchester to Chester

What time are you arriving in Manchester? Are you returning to Manchester later that day?

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,012 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train Manchester to Chester

I hesitate to confuse things even more, but you don't need to go in to Manchester at all. Just take a taxi to Hale, two or three miles from the airport where there are local stopping trains every hour direct to Chester.