We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need a great pub recommendation for our one night in town

Roswell, Georgia
Level Contributor
12 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Need a great pub recommendation for our one night in town

We will be spending one night in Manchester near Piccadilly and we would love to have a fun evening at a pub that will serve us some good food, some good drink, and will hopefully have World Cup football on television. Does anyone have any good recommendations?

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need a great pub recommendation for our one night in town

If your here when the World Cup is on, there will be loads of city centre pubs with the football on, especially if England are playing. Bear in mind, because the World Cup is in Brazil, some of the kick offs are at funny times for UK viewing, which might impact on when you watch the games.

Look at www.manchesterbars.com/top10-pubs.htm

designmynight.com/manchester/where-to-watch-…

Also Manchester is really compact and walkable, so you can get to pretty much anywhere from Piccadilly.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
256 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need a great pub recommendation for our one night in town

The Alchemist on New York Street / Mosley Street is about 1 minute away from Piccadilly. I've been a few times and it's lovely. I haven't eaten there but know others that have and they said it is good. Nice upmarket feel inside and a huge cocktail menu.

http://thealchemist.uk.com/locations

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
256 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need a great pub recommendation for our one night in town

Ah, just seen your comment about World Cup, I was skim reading sorry. The Alchemist won't be showing any sport.

Roswell, Georgia
Level Contributor
12 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need a great pub recommendation for our one night in town

No worries. Thanks for the recommendation for The Alchemist.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need a great pub recommendation for our one night in town

It's easy to get around Manchester either on foot, tram or the free bus, so anywhere in the city centre could be considered.

Some of the 'proper' pubs in town:

City Arms

The Vine

Circus Tavern

Peveril of the Peak

Britons Protection

Sam's Chop House (great food)

Thomas's Chop House (great food)

Sinclairs Oyster Bar

The Wellington

Bars (most of which are bar/restaurants):

The Alchemist

Browns

Room

Manchester House (12th floor bar)

Manchester Hilton (23rd floor bar)

The Oast House

Australasia

Dukes92

Grill on New York Street

Grill on the Alley

Gorilla

Northern Quarter area for lots of independent pubs, bars and restaurants:

Bakerie

Terrace

Common

Cord

Port Street Beer House

Whiskey Jar

Odd

Trof

I guess that many places that don't normally have screens will have them up for the world cup, but generally it's the more middle of the road/mainstream places that have TV screens - Lost Dene, Sawyers Arms, Yates, Norwegian Blue, White Lion....

Anyway, hope that helps a bit.

Pete

Salford, United...
Level Contributor
470 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need a great pub recommendation for our one night in town

Hello Hokies of the great state of Georgia!

You won't have a difficulty finding pubs that do food, or pubs that do football, though you may struggle to find a pub that does both food and football, but with a sufiiciently relaxed atmosphere that you'd really enjoy yourselves.

If you want a proper English pub, I think the best you would find would be the Britons Protection, so named because of the voulnteers in the Napoleanic wars who would come in here immediately having taken the King's shilling from the recruiting office that used to be close by, in order to spend it before they went off to war. It's a very evocative place, full of small rooms, lots of old wood panelling, and a good selection of beer. You won't find food or football there, but I would urge you to have a couple of drinks there, purely for the 'authenticity' value.

There is a pub I can think of that will do you extremely good food and will quite possibly show the football too. It's called The Wharf, and it's in a place called Castlefield, about a 10 minute walk from a main road called Deansgate. Now, The Wharf is a new place that has made itself look slightly old. Its decor is wonderful, and its beers are well looked after. It's also out on a bit of a limb, leaving you with not much else around you.

To get to it though, you will have passed a bar called the Knott Bar right at the end of Deansgate (the opposite end to the cathedral), which is terrific too and which does really quite briliant food, and some of the best beer you'll find in Manchester. It doesn't feel like a traditional English pub, but don't let that put you off, as it does feel very special. No football there either I'm afraid.

For football, it's always difficult to know what to do for the best in the city centre, on the basis that most places are likely to be very, very busy. With this in mind, I'd like to suggest that you could try a pub called the New Oxford, on Bexley Square in neighbouring Salford. It is easily walkable from Manchester city centre, but to take the stress out of map reading, allow 10 minutes and less than £10 in a cab.

What the New Oxford offers you is probably the widest choice of locvally brewed ales anywhere in the Manchester area, a very hospitable welcome, very friendly locals and other regulars, and a relaxed place to watch a match. The trade off though is that it doesn't serve food in the evenings (many pubs do at lunchtime, but not in the evening).

If I were designing your itinerary, I would probably have you have a drink or two at the Britons Protection, then to Knott Bar for some good food, then in a cab to the New Oxford for the match, some banter and an incredibly tempting array of beer.

I will declare my interest. I am one of the regulars of the New Oxford, although I have no financial interest in them, they have one in me!

Welcome to Manchester buddy. I'm sure you'll have a great time wherever you end up.

All the best,

Sam.

7. Re: Need a great pub recommendation for our one night in town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2015, 04:15
Get answers to your questions about Manchester