We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

manchester utd

Belfast, United...
1 post
Save Topic
manchester utd

are you allowed to drink outside old Trafford on match day, im going over to the game on the 16th of march against the old enemy Liverpool so I was just wondering? thanks

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
3,762 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: manchester utd

I doubt it as in many parts of the area it is an offence to drink in public. Am I missing something as we have bars aplenty in the area and the last thing the game will need is alcohol

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,747 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: manchester utd

If you're a Man U supporter won't you be needing a drink "after" the game to drown you sorrows!? ;-)

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
9,039 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: manchester utd

Numerous pubs within 5-10 mins walk of the stadium (and they're very busy on match days). But I think you are not allowed to drink in public (and Police everywhere).

When you get about 200 yds from the stadium there is a cordon of Police on Sir Matt Busby Way and they ensure no alcohol passes (any bottles etc have to be binned where the Police stand). Bag searches as you enter the stadium.

Beer etc on sale once inside the stadium, but cannot be taken up into the stands.

Edited: 03 March 2014, 17:37
Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,747 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: manchester utd

Do they still serve Budweisser inside Old Trafford? If they do I'd make sure you get a few "proper" drinks before you go into the ground!

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
316 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: manchester utd

As KWUK has said, pubs around the ground (Bishop Blaize, Trafford, Sam Platt's) are open before the game; police cordon will require you to surrender alcohol as you approach the ground; beer GENERALLY on sale inside the ground, but not at all games: sometimes there's a ban on alcohol sales in the grounds, especially for matches against team like Liverpool and City. Don't know if there's an alcohol banning order on stadium sales for this match, but there might well be.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: manchester utd

Matt, it's been Singha at Old Trafford for a few years now.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: manchester utd

Not a alcohol person but I believe we should be able to bring mineral water bottles into the stadium right? Don't wanna die of thirst from all the shouting and cursing while watching the game :)

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
1,696 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: manchester utd

You can bring bottled water into the stadium. But it should be a bottle no bigger than 500ml and the top should be removed, or they will remove it if they see the bottle.

You can buy bottled water inside, but they will remove the top when they give it to you.

Stockport
Level Contributor
83 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: manchester utd

Why not go for a drink near the lowry centre or the Lowry shopping outlet, it is not far from the ground,and has a few pubs and bars.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: manchester utd

Thank you MysticManc!