We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manchester Landmarks

Which Manchester hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Macclesfield...
1 post
Save Topic
Manchester Landmarks

Hello everyone,

I am a Second Year Media Student looking to produce a promotional film for the City of Manchester, I am not 100% familiar with the city and I was looking to seek some advice for any notable landmarks, man made structures or anything else loosely 'cultural' that I can find in and around the City Centre, that would look nice on film.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
7,846 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manchester Landmarks

Here's some for 'starters' (and there's plenty more in the city centre) -

Town Hall, Midland Hotel, Bridgewater Hall, Manchester Central (formerly GMEX), Free Trade Hall (it's now Radisson Edwardian Hotel), Royal Exchange (the inside of it, not the outside), Barton Arcade, John Rylands Library, Beetham Tower, Museum of Science & Industry (including the historic railway station there), Coronation Street.

Given that football is part of the 'culture', you could include Old Trafford & Etihad Stadiums though both are slightly outside the city centre; and close by Old Trafford are Imperial War Museum and Lowry Gallery/Theatre.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
5,976 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manchester Landmarks

If by the "City of Manchester" you mean the area covered by that council then I'll be pedantic - Old Trafford (district, football & cricket grounds) are all in the the Borough of Trafford as is the Imperial War Museum North and the Lowry Centre is in the City of Salford - all depends on the definition you're working to.

The one builiding that I think most people from the area would know is the Central Library (colloquially also the Round Library) which has just re-opened. There's also the old Refuge Building (Palace Hotel) and Watts Warehouse (Britannia Hotel) with the more modern CIS and Beetham tower blocks.

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Manchester Landmarks

A few more for your consideration, Castlefield, Chetham's Library, The Royal Mills in Ancoats, The National Football Museum, The National Cycling Centre, The Abraham Lincoln statue in Brazennose Street, The Alan Turing Memorial in Sackville Gardens and Chinatown.

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,603 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manchester Landmarks

The Royal Exchange in Cross Street, the cathedral and- a little less well known but interesting- St Mary's Church known as The Hidden Gem in Mulberry Street just off Albert Square.

How about the Castlefield canal basin?

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,182 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manchester Landmarks

The Arndale Centre, The Printworks and maybe the Northern Quarter.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manchester Landmarks

Victoria train station has a mural of the old Lancashire and Yorkshire railways, which dates back over 100 years. being42.org/2014/03/.../lancashire-yorkshire… The station itself isn't very nice, but at least that still remains.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
815 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manchester Landmarks

The cathedral, corn exchange (exterior only), Urbis, Chethams, Sinclairs and The Wellington. Just thinking of places in the same area.

Radcliffe, United...
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
905 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Manchester Landmarks

The canals around Castlefield, the Liverpool st station the 1st public railway station in the UK, the Northern Quarter where the old warehouses are and not forgetting Manchester University

Stockport
Level Contributor
83 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Manchester Landmarks

The Chinese arch is another landmark. The Midland hotel;, even the Hidden gem church and indeed the Bridgewater hall, along with the many others listed.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,321 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Manchester Landmarks

More research sources and film archives are available to a student.

You might include this area

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_Park,_Manchester

and

www.friends-of-angel-meadow.org/page4.htm

Keep looking and filming