We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manchester & Liverpool in a day trip? Wer to stay overnight?

Dubai
Level Contributor
281 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Manchester & Liverpool in a day trip? Wer to stay overnight?

Hi to all!

We are arriving to Manchester Airport on July 28 morning at 7:45 am. Assuming we will be out with our luggages by 8:45 am, we plan to do the following:

July 28, 2014 - Tuesday

1. Manchester Airport - Man. Piccadilly

Priority places:

- to the National Football Museum (2 hours visit)

- Old Trafford Stadium (no tour, just to see it from outside)

Others:

- Manchester University

- Primark

- The Lowry (just outside)

- John Rylands Library

2. Manchester Piccadilly - Liverpool Lime Street

- visit the Cavern

- Beattles Story tour

- Go to London in the evening

Questions:

1. Should we rather go to liverpool straight from Manchester Airport and have Manchester be the last tour? Like Manchester Airport - Liverpool - Manchester - London? or vice versa like our itinerary?

2. Is Liverpool worth spending longer hours for a day trip than Manchester?

3.. If time is running out for us, which city you prefer for us to stay better for an overnight (safety wise) and perhaps do a halfday tour the following day before heading to London?

4. is it safe to travel by night on a train like arriving at London Euston 11 pm?

5. Which is better city going to London? Coming from Manchester or coming from Liverpool?

Thanking you in advance.

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,736 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manchester & Liverpool in a day trip? Wer to stay overnight?

Your itinerary is far too optimistic. You need really to decide on either Manchester or Liverpool. If you choose Manchester for example, the Football Museum opens at 10- two hours takes you to noon. You then have to get a tram out to Old Trafford and the Lowry which are some distance from the centre. Travel to and from plus a look even at the outside of both will take probably two more hours, without stops for eating or coffee. So it is 2 pm, you haven't seen anywhere else and you still want to get to Liverpool (almost an hour's journey) to start seeing places there.

As for which City is best for train back to London -both have direct trains taking a fear minutes over two hours though they are more frequent from Manchester. Public transport is perfectly safe after dark. You won't be alone on the train by any means

Edited: 16 April 2014, 12:04
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6,763 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manchester & Liverpool in a day trip? Wer to stay overnight?

See you're getting the same advice on the Liverpool forum:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186337-i414-k73…

I'm agreeing - both cities are worth more than a couple of hours which is all you'll have trying to do both in the day. The logical thing is to start in Manchester and either cut Liverpool altogether, or head there late on to stay the night, look round the next day and then head to London.

If you're spending the day on Manchester you'll probably need to leave your luggage at Piccadilly station - see the link (select North Britain stations):

http://www.left-baggage.co.uk/locations.php

You can combine Old Trafford (MUFC) and the Lowry Centre -

thelowry.com/plan-your-visit/getting-here/

There are details on there of the various tram and bus options (tram will be easiest from Piccadilly station) and the map for download shows the area including the MUFC ground.

As you only want to see both from the outside (also worth seeing the IWM North opposite the Lowry) I'd suggest this is your first stop; then return to the centre for the National Football Museum and the John Rylands Library with a lunch stop in the mix.

By Manchester University, I'm guessing you mean the older buildings along Oxford Road, which is where I'd head then. Details for travel and maps:

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/aboutus/travel/

There are other things to do or see in Manchester (if you've any time left) and Primark have shops in other cities, so I'd leave that out altogether, and then head to Piccadilly, retrieve you luggage and take the train to Liverpool or London.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
119 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manchester & Liverpool in a day trip? Wer to stay overnight?

As the above have advised it really has to be a day at each.

as most time will be spent wasted travelling, unless you have a private driver that knows the area and can get you to theses place without the fuss of public transport.

both cities are full of history and modern places of interest. Just a shame you cant really do both if your on a tight schedule.

regarding travelling to London, again the previous posters are correct as they are pretty much regular trains to Euston station (London)

i would advise though buy your train tickets to London from www.thetrainline.com as they do some good discounts.

i have travelled before today to London from Manchester for £12 using this website.

Oh ! on a final note, you cant come to Manchester without visiting the Etihad Stadium home of Manchester City football club :)

have a great trip

regards Jay

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Manchester & Liverpool in a day trip? Wer to stay overnight?

This thread is also on the London forum: tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k737…

Please try to avoid posting the same thing all over TA. It means that you are getting answers from people who are not necessarily aware that other people are also providing answers elsewhere, and also the whole lot is liable to be pulled anyway because you are not supposed to duplicate post.

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Manchester & Liverpool in a day trip? Wer to stay overnight?

I'm a bit confused by the replies above. I had got the impression from the OP that they were planning to spend one whole day in Manchester (minus the flying/train time first thing in the morning) and one whole day in Liverpool (minus travelling time between Manchester and Liverpool and Liverpool and London). I didn't gather from what was posted that they were planning to do Manchester and Liverpool in one day.

Oops! Just realised I had misread! I thought that the 1 and 2 were *day* one and *day* two of their holiday! They are planning to do 1 and 2 in a single day? No, that is ridiculous! They need 48 hours *minimum* to try to this itinerary.

Edited: 16 April 2014, 15:20
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
9,035 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manchester & Liverpool in a day trip? Wer to stay overnight?

And here's another reply that says it is not viable to do both places in the one day. Manchester and Liverpool deserve one day each (minimum really).

As you are arriving at Manchester airport, you could 'do' some of Manchester that arrival day (tiredness permitting after a long flight), stay the first night in Manchester; travel to Liverpool the following morning, 'do' some of Liverpool in the second day and then train to London late afternoon/early evening. Even that two-day plan is rushing things for all the items on your list.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,942 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manchester & Liverpool in a day trip? Wer to stay overnight?

"i would advise though buy your train tickets to London from www.thetrainline.com as they do some good discounts"

No they don't, they don't do any discounts whatsoever, they add on extra fees to tickets that you can buy direct from the actual train company.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,731 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Manchester & Liverpool in a day trip? Wer to stay overnight?

You could down going around the National Football Museum to less than an hour.

But as others have said choose between either Manchester or Liverpool, or do both but spend at night in either city.

Oh, and please don't use the Trainline, unless you want to pay more than you have to! ;-)

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Manchester & Liverpool in a day trip? Wer to stay overnight?

The OP has rather unhelpfully posted the same question on three different forums, and the thread on the London forum has now been closed. I'm going to reply here to a post on that thread: tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k737…

The reason why I would suggest that the OP does not visit Primark in Manchester is that there simply is not enough time. Manchester is one of the most important cities in the history, not just of England, but of the world. It is a city that demands a lot of time even to begin to do it justice. It would seem ridiculous to me to travel all the way to Manchester only to spend part of one's time there in Primark. I am assuming, however, that the OP will be spending rather longer in London. The Primark at the east end of Oxford Street is just a stone's throw from the British Museum, so could easily be tacked onto a visit there, while the Primark at the west end of Oxford Street is just a few streets from the Wallace Collection and the Wigmore Hall. The Manchester branch may be superior, but it just doesn't fit as well into the schedule.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
119 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Manchester & Liverpool in a day trip? Wer to stay overnight?

i'm guessing you dont like the trainline.com guys, i have never had a prob with it,

saying that i have used it 3 times to London from Manchester At £25 return the next cheapest was £70 from another company.

I'd drive but it would use £60 fuel plus hours and hours of road driving each way and not to mention he congestion charge.

i guess i get lucky on that train site ?

regards