We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beddells chippy.

Salford, United...
Level Contributor
109 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
beddells chippy.

Please, can anyone help. Does anyone remember a chip shop on tib street called bedells, (i think). Back in the 1970s and before. As I remember, it was run by 4 old lady's that were sisters, (i might be wrong). Always arguing behind the counter but lovely old lady's. Always had our dinner from there and nowhere else. Best fish, chips and peas I have ever tasted. Only asking because nobody remembers it. Harry Ramsdens, no chance, ha ha. Love to here more about people that worked in and around Oldham st, tib street etc back in them days.

Toronto, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: beddells chippy.

Hi, yes I remember this chippy very well.

Every Saturday as a little boy I would go there with my parents and was usually served by Agnes, she was amazing as she would take numerous orders in a row, never write anything down and yet always got the orders correct. I always had chips, mush peas and bread and butter.

I am now 60 years of age and have resided in Toronto, Ontario, Canada for the last 40 years, on one of my earlier trips back to the UK I went into the chippy and Agnes remembered me right away and she also remembered that I had emigrated to Canada.

I have travelled to most countries in the world and have yet to find anything that comes close to Beddels.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Regards, G

Salford, United...
Level Contributor
109 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: beddells chippy.

Hello Glynn, sorry it's taken so long to respond. Thanks for your reply (mind you it was nearly a year ago I posted this question, ha ha). Soon as I saw the name Agnes it twigged, white haired lady with glasses always dressed very smart even for a chippy and your right, took all the orders and never made a mistake. Never tasted fish chips and peas like it again. Gobsmacked ( hope you remember the term, ha ha) that it has taken someone that now lives halfway around the world to respond. As a teenager I used to work for Beaverbrooks jewellers on Oldham street back in the 1970s. Loved the area, remember the millstone, still a cracking pub. Probably the wrong site to reminisce but then again why not ha ha. Hope other people join in. Thanks again mate.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: beddells chippy.

Hi Glynn, worked on Ancoats St in the early 70,s, used to go to Befalls some lunch times. Great fish & chips, used to eat in upstairs, whole building was on a slant! Used to sit by the window great view over the rooftops of Tib St & Ancoats

4. Re: beddells chippy.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2016, 05:16