We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day at Manchester City...good hotel pls

Which Manchester hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
SINGAPORE
Level Contributor
626 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
1 day at Manchester City...good hotel pls

Hi i will be staying at Hilton Liverpool Hotel which is near Liverpool Lime Street Station. Then i will be travelling to to Manchester Town. I will be staying at Manchester town/city for just 1 day before flying back home from Manchester airport.

I would like to stay at a good, clean hotel or b&b that is centrally located near a train station so that when i arrive from Liverpool Lime Street station i could walk to the hotel at Manchester. Also i would like the hotel to be centrally located near shopping centres, restaurants and bar. Basically somewhere lively would be good. Also if i could take a train from where the hotel is to Manchester airport the next day, would be good. Pls do recommend me a hotel or b&b and which station should i arrive at at Manchester. Pls do recommend me the must sees and dos for 1 day at Manchester. Tks

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
9,422 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 day at Manchester City...good hotel pls

Have you looked at hotel reviews and the map on the hotels page of TA? Your budget will be key to this. There's a Hilton on deansgate if you favour that chain - it's about 3minutes walk from Deansgate station which you can get the airport train to and I think some Liverpool trains will stop there too. Most trains go in and out of Piccadilly so somewhere in that area would be ok but also look at the Metrolink tram map and the shuttle buses as they make a lot more areas easily accessible. What to do in a day depends on your interests.....Manchester museum, art gallery, shopping, football museum, museum of science and industry, old Trafford stadium tour....??

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,183 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 day at Manchester City...good hotel pls

There are 2 express trains an hour from Liverpool Lime Street (departing at 22 and 52 mins past the hour) to Manchester Oxford Road and Manchester Piccadilly stations.

Neither of these services operated by East Midlands Trains and First Trans Pennine Express trains stop at Deansgate. Some of the slower stopping services operated by Northern Rail might stop at Deansgate, but I wouldn't recommend these slower trains.

The National Football Museum by Manchester Victoria station is well worth a visit and is only a 10-15 minute walk from Piccadilly station.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,183 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 day at Manchester City...good hotel pls

P.S. The Hilton in Liverpool is actually a 10-15 minute walk from Lime Street railway station.

SINGAPORE
Level Contributor
626 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 day at Manchester City...good hotel pls

tks all for ur replies. matt_1376 hmmm i actually thought that liverpool lime street station is 5 mins walk away from hilton liverpool station as that is what i read from their website. are there any nearer train stations to hilton liverpool?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
9,422 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 day at Manchester City...good hotel pls

Can I introduce you to google maps MAHA24? If you look on there and use the "directions" option it says Lime Street station to the Hilton hotel is 0.8miles and a 15minute walk. There are closer stations but I assume these aren't served by trains to/from Manchester - use http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ to plan your journey. You may be able to get a connecting train or if you don't want to walk a taxi shouldn't cost much.

If you also look on google maps and zoom in around Manchester Piccadilly it will show you the major hotels then check out the TA reviews. As a rough guide the main "city centre" and shops etc is the area between Piccadilly station and the River Irwell to the East/West and Deansgate station and Victoria station in the South/North.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 day at Manchester City...good hotel pls

Arriving from Liverpool into Piccadilly and departing from the same for the airport:

Double Tree by Hilton

Piccadilly Premier Inn

Abode

Malmaison

Velvet

Arriving from Liverpool into Oxford Road and departing from the same for the airport:

The Palace

Holiday Inn Express (Oxford Road)

Novotel

The Midland

The Radisson Blu Edwardian

The city centre is quite compact and walkable so seeing any sights or going to any bars/restaurants will be 'doable' from any hotel in the city centre. There is also the tram and the free bus service that you could use.

Science and Industry Museum, City Art Gallery & National Football Museum are all popular city centre museums.

There's a big wheel in Piccadilly Gardens

Salford Quays (short tram ride away) to The Lowry Centre with the Imperial War Museum North and Manchester United (museum and ground tour) just across the water.

100s of shops, pubs, bars and restaurants in the city centre to choose from.

I hope that helps.

7. Re: 1 day at Manchester City...good hotel pls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2015, 05:16