We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Center of Manchester to Manchester Ship Canal,Salford Quays

Which Manchester hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Shropshire
Level Contributor
69 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Center of Manchester to Manchester Ship Canal,Salford Quays

OK, I give up! I have looked at multiple maps trying to work out how to get from Manchester to the Manchester Ship Canal and can't work it out. I can see you can go by Metro but can't see which is the stop I need and then where do I go. Or should I get a taxi, if so how much?

Thanks

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,472 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Center of Manchester to Manchester Ship Canal,Salford Quays

Sorry to be blunt, but I cannot understand why folks post questions on here which can be answered by typing the subject into Google. Putting in "Salford Quays" instantly finds

tfgm.com/buses/…Getting-to-Salford-Quays.aspx

Edited: 04 May 2014, 13:18
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,814 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Center of Manchester to Manchester Ship Canal,Salford Quays

SheilaShropshire, Below is a link to a photo of the Manchester Ship Canal at Salford Quays. Below the photo is a map. Click on the map and another one will pop up. The yellow dots on that map is the tram stations. Sorry don't know the names but maybe someone from Manchester will step in and help you more.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/218961

Yes some questions do seem a little pointless, but if the poster as tried and can't find the answer then why not ask on here. That is what Trip Adviser is all about I thought.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,814 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Center of Manchester to Manchester Ship Canal,Salford Quays

To get to the second map, click on the "suggest an update to this image" that is next to the yellow triangle. Then a new map will pop up with the tram stops on.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
7,875 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Center of Manchester to Manchester Ship Canal,Salford Quays

Sheila, the Salford Quays area, including the Ship Canal, covers quite a distance and has different areas within it, all walkable from each other, and various Metrolink tramstops from which to choose.

Where exactly do you wish to visit when you are at the "Ship Canal" ? Eg just to see the canal itself, or it is things like Imperial War Museum, Lowry Gallery & Theatre, Lowry Retail outlet, Media City (BBC & ITV) or even Exchange Quay or Old Trafford Football Stadium.

If you give a bit more info we can tell you exactly which tramstop to head for first. The Metrolink tram service is excellent.

Edited: 04 May 2014, 14:26
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6,035 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Center of Manchester to Manchester Ship Canal,Salford Quays

Here's another map of the broader Quays area which shows all the tram (Metrolink, not Metro here) stops. Click or hover on each of the tram symbols and you get the name of the stop.

http://www.thequays.org.uk/map/

Your stop will depend on exactly where you're heading and which Metrolink line you use

tfgm.com/buses/…Getting-to-Salford-Quays.aspx

Despite the name that link includes other modes of transport not just buses!

Edited: 04 May 2014, 14:29
Shropshire
Level Contributor
69 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Center of Manchester to Manchester Ship Canal,Salford Quays

Thank you! I have tried the maps and can't see which stop I need - I have tried honest.

I actually want to get to wherever the Manchester Ship Canal leaves from - and I am going on a Sunday - does that make any difference? Do I need to change when I eventually get on the Metro, some of the makes seem to suggest that I do.

I also have read that the fares have increased. Would I be as well getting a taxi? Thanks for being patient - most of you.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6,035 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Center of Manchester to Manchester Ship Canal,Salford Quays

SheilaShropshire - I think you may be missing the word "cruise" from your post? If that's it, accoring to the Mersey Ferries (who operate the cruises) the docking point is outside the Lowry:

merseyferries.co.uk/cruises/Manchester-Ship-…

Looking at their pages most of the cruises start at 10am from Salford.

Media City is the nearest tram stop. Taking, for example Piccadilly railway station as your start - there is a service scheduled for every 12 minutes on Sundays - journey time around 20-25 minutes; single fare £2.80.

Hope that helps!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
1,493 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Center of Manchester to Manchester Ship Canal,Salford Quays

Doesn't matter that it's a Sunday, still a good service on metrolink. www.metrolink.co.uk

Eccles line tram to Salford Quays, no need to change. Do check above website for service updates and planned network improvements.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,268 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Center of Manchester to Manchester Ship Canal,Salford Quays

But why do you need to get to the Manchester Ship Canal???

If it's because you are going on the Mersey Ferry cruise along the canal to Liverpool then you need to get to Salford Quays where the ferry departs from. Details of where to find this are on the Mersey Ferries website.

Otherwise, I (along with everyone else) don't understand why you need to get to where the Manchester Ship Canal starts!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
1,493 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Center of Manchester to Manchester Ship Canal,Salford Quays

Yes Media City is the stop if your heading to Lowry. Do check, as I say, for planned works on the tram, there is some coming up.