We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manchester airport questions

Which Manchester hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
110 posts
197 reviews
Save Topic
Manchester airport questions

Saturday afternoon, we will drop off our car in the car rental village and take the shuttle bus to the Radisson Blu hotel next to the terminals. Our flight is around 11am the next morning back to the US. Would like your help with the following questions:

1. My husband bought some goods and would like to get the VAT refund. Can he do it the night before since we are next to the airport or does he have to do it after we check-in the next morning?

2. I've read that the Radisson Blu restaurant is not very good and is expensive. Is there anywhere to eat within walking distance (this is for dinner)? If not, is it practical to take the train into Manchester and eat there?

3. Does anyone know the GPS coordinates for the car rental villages. It will probably signposted from the motorway but I like the extra insurance of the GPS.

Thank you!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manchester airport questions

1. don't know I'm afraid!

2. There's eating places before security in the airport but all chain restaurants and nothing very exciting: manchesterairport.co.uk/manweb.nsf/Content/A…

It's easy to get the train into Manchester, there's regular trains to/from the airport so I'd go for that option if I were you. Your hotel and the station are both connected to the terminals.

3. which rental company are you with? You should be able to get a postcode off their website.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,511 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manchester airport questions

>>> My husband bought some goods and would like to get the VAT refund. Can he do it the night before since we are next to the airport or does he have to do it after we check-in the next morning? <<<

No sorry, it has to be done at the time of departure. Do it before check-in if the items are going into checked luggage, as they have to be available for inspection (to show that they are unused).

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
110 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manchester airport questions

Thank you for the link to restaurants. There are ones after you pass through security that look acceptable. Can I get through security to eat even though my flight doesn't leave until the next morning?

Regarding training into Manchester, can you tell me about some good restaurants near the the train stop and what would be the name of the train stop. Not too picky - casual fare (not McDonald's but not Michelin star) is fine with us. Thanks.

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
110 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manchester airport questions

Thank you for reply about VAT. Any idea if the line will be long if he gets on line at 9am Sunday?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manchester airport questions

You'd have to be flying and have a boarding card to pass through security to those eating places. Before security not a problem.

If you get the train into Manchester Piccadilly the whole of Manchester centre is at your disposal for eating places really - walk, use the metrolink for a couple of stops, or there's a free shuttle bus during the day: www.tfgm.com/buses/Pages/metroshuttle.aspx

I don't eat in Manchester often enough to know where's the newest/best but some old favourites:

Sam's Chop House (for good pub grub type food)

Kroma for pizza

Dukes 92 (bit further out of town but close to Deansgate station which has trains to the airport)

Grinch - pizzas/bar food

China Town if you like Chinese -you'd need to read reviews as I wouldn't know where to recommend.

Try the restaurant reviews section on TA.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manchester airport questions

As has been said, the train is very easy, cheap and quick to get you into the city centre. You have go the whole of the city centre to choose from really as it's quite compact, but here are a few near to Piccadilly train station:

City Cafe at the Double Tree hotel

Smoak steak house at the Malmaison hotel

Velvet on Canal Street

Bakerie (Lever Street)

Pie & Ale (Lever Street)

Several places at Piccadilly Gardens - inlcuding Kro Piccadilly, Pizza Express, Rice, Barburrito

Grill on New York Street

Alchemist (New York Street)

Browns (York Street)

Room (King Street)

Chinatown - 30 odd Chinese and/or Asian restaurants

Others I like:

Mr. Coopers House and Garden

Almost Famous (burgers)

Byron (burgers)

Australasia

The Oast House

Solita

Northern Quarter Restaurant

63 Degrees

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manchester airport questions

Just noticed that you will be doing this on Saturday evening. As the busiest night of the week, it's always best to make a reservation on a Saturday night.

That said, some restaurants don't take bookings nowadays and operation (annoyingly imo) a walk-up only policy (Almost Famous for example - where you an expect queues and a 1-2 hour wait on a Saturday night).

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Manchester airport questions

You can also jump in a taxi and go to one of the nicer suburbs. Didsbury has lots of nice restaurants (posh, cheap, independent, chain....the Nepalese Third Eye restaurant is probably my favourite). Lost of nice pubs as well.

Perhaps £10.00-£15.00 in a taxi and about 10 minutes. I'd do that instead of going into Manchester itself.

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Manchester airport questions

The post code for the car rental village is M22 5WH. The train station is a few minutes walk from your hotel, trains run every few minutes for the 20 minute journey to Manchester Piccadilly Station in the city centre. The trains are less frequent late at night, but you'll have no trouble getting back before the last train at 00:40hr.

The return fares are £4.20 before 6:20pm and £2.10 after 6:30pm.

This site will give you an idea of the choice of restaurants in the city centre.

http://www.restaurantsofmanchester.com/

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
138 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Manchester airport questions

The best Chinese in Chinatown is Yang Sing.

Personally, I'd get a train to Piccadilly - lots of very good options within 5-10 minutes walk. Velvet is good and reasonably priced if you're looking for something mid-range - it's casual too with pizzas, pasta and grill options. I lunch there sometimes and never been disappointed. Otherwise, the Northern Quarter options mentioned by retep68 are all good - SoLiTa, 63 Degrees, etc. You *must* book though for a Saturday night!