We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manchester for New Years Eve

Which Manchester hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Topic
Manchester for New Years Eve

So me and five other lads have just booked to stay over on New Years Eve (best book early we thought) as not only do we want to see 2015 come in, we're also Sunderland fans and we play Man City on the 1st January so we'll be going there. We're staying in a hotel in Potato Wharf which I understand is pretty central.

Anyway, where should we go on the New Years Eve...which areas and bars/clubs tend to be the best? (we're aged between 19-24) Also, would trams be the best way to get from where we're staying to the Etihad the next day? We'll probably be drinking in the city centre from late morning on NYD until we're ready to go to the ground...how long is the journey from the centre to the Etihad?

Cheers

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
138 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manchester for New Years Eve

I can answer some of your questions.

Trams - from Potato Wharf it's a short walk of about 6-7 minutes to Deansgate-Castlefield tram stop. That's your nearest. From Piccadilly to Etihad by tram is about 10 minutes. Add another 5 if you get on at Deansgate. The trams usually stop early on NYE, so factor that in. Also, the council announced this week that the tram stop at St Peter's Square (the one between Deansgate and Piccadilly Gardens) is closing shortly because they are building a second city crossing tram line and it'll be shut till at least late 2015 - this means NO trams going east/west through the city centre in that period. The city centre is quite small though and that gap in the route can be walked in 10 minutes.

Bars - I'm not going to advise which ones as I'm older than you guys! But do note that almost everywhere is ticketed entry on NYE in Manchester. So once you've decided where to go, get in touch with the venue to see if you need tickets. Expect to pay £20-35 a head.

Still with NYE, I'd advise you to book a taxi in advance to get from wherever you're seeing in 2015 to your hotel at Potato Wharf. Unless you're prepared to walk...

Someone will probably be along soon with bar/club suggestions!

Edited: 17 July 2014, 06:13
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manchester for New Years Eve

RE: trams stopping early on NYE - I thought they actually ran later than usual. Stopping early on NYD maybe? Although certainly not as late as most clubs will be finishing - maybe catch one of the first ones running again in the morning of NYD??? :)

As above, way past my NYE clubbing days. Warehouse project normally have something pretty big going on though.

Bar areas (many opening late at weekends and even later for NYE I would expect):

Northern Quarter - independants, best area in town imo

Printworks - chains, mainstream

Deansgate Locks - row of bars under the tram arches at the end of Deansgate

Canal Street (gay village)

Castlefield - a few bars by the canals

Other end of Deansgate (from Deansgate Locks) for a row of bars and restaurants

Peter Street/Deansgate (mid-Deansgate) - livened up recently with a few new bars and restaurants

Spinningfields - lots of bar/restaurant places

Apart from the Warehouse Project, I'm completely ignorant of clubs now, sorry :(

Trams for getting around town, but as mentioned there are some closures coming up for infrastructure work that is planned. Also, the city centre is relatively compact, so easy enough to walk around (once I'm in town, I tend to walk everywhere - occasionally using the free Metroshuttle buses). Potato Wharf is on the end of the city centre, but as I say everywhere is walkable from there - Northern Quarter is probably about the furtherest away and you could walk that in 20-25 minutes I'd guess.

Trams on NYD for the match should run until at least after the game has finished. I think that's what they've always done for United games on NYD in the past (glad to see city are at home on NYD this year).

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manchester for New Years Eve

Also with regards to the match. Although I don't think the fixture date of the 1st January will change, it's possible the kick off time might if it's going to be a TV game. Just something else to bear in mind and keep an eye on.

4. Re: Manchester for New Years Eve

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2015, 06:15