We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin v Trans Pennine to Manchester ...help needed please

Airdrie, United...
Level Contributor
757 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Virgin v Trans Pennine to Manchester ...help needed please

Oh dear ! I've just booked a return journey Glasgow to Manchester got a good price IMO for direct journey and in 1st class ...with TP .....just realised that I could have got Virgin for same price but it involves a change at Preston in both directions ... According to TP ( dreadful web site ) it's introduced new trains in May and I'll get free tea ... Woo pe doo

Can I ask those if you who know the route if you think I have made a bad choice and am I better paying the £10 e/w to change my tickets to Virgin train

Thanks for any advice ....I should have done this prior to booking , but never realised my mistake until I'd booked

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virgin v Trans Pennine to Manchester ...help needed please

Hi,

Just out of curiosity, what price did you pay overall? (feel free not to answer).

In terms of the difference between first class on TP and Virgin, there's not really much in it. I prefer Virgin trains, because I don't like First as a transport company, but all you get extra compared to standard class is: 1) not being around as many people 2) free tea & coffee and bottled water and 3) sometimes you get a small snack selection (usually consisting of pretzels and cheesy biscuits). I have been on TP trains where no free tea & coffee was offered at all, and on a couple of instances, the train was declassified halfway through the journey. But call me cheap, but I still wouldn't pay the extra £10 to switch.

That said I shouldn't really complain, I've only booked first class when it has been cheaper than standard!

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,748 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virgin v Trans Pennine to Manchester ...help needed please

First Class on First Trans Pennine trains consists of about 15 seats that are slightly wider and with a bit more legroom than Standard Class.

You get people walking through First Class from Standard Class to use one of the toilets, and on busy services the conductor let's Standard Class passengers sit or even stand in the aisle in First Class.

I travelled First Class on First Trans Pennine from Huddersfield to Liverpool earlier this month. The train was packed (because it was the weekend of the Tour de France) with Standard Class passengers sat in First Class. Not that it bothered me because I've also sat in First Class with a Standard Class ticket.

And there were no free drinks, probably because there wasn't even a refreshment trolley on board!

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,748 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virgin v Trans Pennine to Manchester ...help needed please

P.S. I'd forgotten that new electric trains had been introduced by TP, but here's the info about First Class on these new trains that they give on their website:

"Yes, the new trains will come with a first class area that is comparable to our current first class section on the class 185 trains. There will be 19 seats available on each train in first class."

So 19 seats in first class instead of 15 and comparable to the first class section on the diesel trains.

Not much to get excited about then! ;-)

Edited: 20 July 2014, 15:06
Airdrie, United...
Level Contributor
757 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virgin v Trans Pennine to Manchester ...help needed please

Hi marmite ... I managed to get advance prices tickets ....£27 outward and £25 return for first class ... Standard tickets were only £10.55 e/w but thought is treat myself as I very rarely travel by train ... By what I've read I'd have got breakfast etc on virgin train .... But I'd have to change trains at Preston ! Hence why I booked the TP in the first place ( without realising it wasn't a virgin train ) apparently I can change my time /ticket for £10 per journey ... So that's why I'm wondering if it's worth biting the bullet and paying to change to virgin .. Times are only 30mins different from original times

Thanks for your help folks

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,642 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Virgin v Trans Pennine to Manchester ...help needed please

>>> apparently I can change my time /ticket for £10 per journey <<<

You can change your ticket for ten pounds per journey, AS WELL AS any difference between the fare you originally paid, and the fare for the journey you now wish to make - at the fare that the new journey is currently.

Airdrie, United...
Level Contributor
757 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Virgin v Trans Pennine to Manchester ...help needed please

Thanks wirewiper ... So far the prices for new times are roughly the same as existing tickets ... Fingers crossed they stay that way .... I can't log in to my account on their web site as it's unavailable just now ... Perhaps an omen as to what their trains will also be like !

I've emailed them as all as phoned I the hope of a solution ... I'm going to bite the bullet and change trains

Thanks for all the help everyone .

Much appreciated !

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,353 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Virgin v Trans Pennine to Manchester ...help needed please

You can buy quite a lot of picnic goodies from M&S or Greggs for £10 ...

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,737 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Virgin v Trans Pennine to Manchester ...help needed please

Still no contest for me. I'd switch to Virgin any day.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
138 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Virgin v Trans Pennine to Manchester ...help needed please

I'd go Virgin too, if I could. I do Manchester to Edinburgh at least once a year and Virgin isn't an option - it's TPE or fly. The trains are always full because even on such a busy route they never put more than three carriages on so booking early and reserving a seat is essential if you don't want to stand for three and a half hours.

10. Re: Virgin v Trans Pennine to Manchester ...help needed please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 July 2014, 20:37
Edited: 20 July 2014, 20:37