We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Strange pricing on trains from Manchester to London Euston

iceland
Level Contributor
325 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Strange pricing on trains from Manchester to London Euston

Hello,

I need to take a train from Manchester to London Euston the 5th of October and I was planning of booking well in advance. When I took a look at the ticket pricing the economy class is more expensive than first class. I need to leave between 15 and 16 and every train that is scheduled to leave in between that time has the same pricing, economy is 70 pounds and first class is 67,5 pounds. Can anybody comment on this please?

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
8,064 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Strange pricing on trains from Manchester to London Euston

Advance tickets are sold in regulated numbers at each price point. Probably the lower price standard class tickets have sold out so there are now lower price first class tickets left than the remaining standard ones.

I see this is a Sunday, which is what I would have guessed. Often you find not much difference between first and standard on a weekend anyway, or even cheaper in first class as here.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
16,075 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Strange pricing on trains from Manchester to London Euston

Welcome to the wonderful privatised UK rail network! ;-)

Yes, quite a few times now I have bought cheaper tickets in First Class than Standard Class.

It sometimes boggles those of us who have years of experience of travelling by train in the UK.

Apart from my local commute by train every day (for which I have a local rail/bus pass) I often spends hours working out how to get the cheapest tickets. Okay, not as long as it used to take me, but it's not even easy for us regualr train travellers in the UK! ;-p

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Strange pricing on trains from Manchester to London Euston

economy is 70 pounds and first class is 67,5 pounds. Can anybody comment on this please?

------

First class seems like the best bet? :-)

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
914 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Strange pricing on trains from Manchester to London Euston

Could have something to do with the fact that United play at home with a 12:00 kick off, and so the cheap tickets for the trains in that time frame will have already been snapped up by fans travelling back from the game.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
8,064 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Strange pricing on trains from Manchester to London Euston

Believe Bex is correct. One week before that date at the same time you can get tickets on all the services for £27.

iceland
Level Contributor
325 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Strange pricing on trains from Manchester to London Euston

That's what I was afraid of. We are going to the game and wanted to book the train tickets to London early. So there is no chance the economy price will go down? Should I just book first class tickets now?

London
Level Contributor
10,340 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Strange pricing on trains from Manchester to London Euston

Also look at the "off peak return" ticket. It may not be much different from two advances - but it is flexible....

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,382 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Strange pricing on trains from Manchester to London Euston

If you are making a return journey between Manchester and Euston it could be that an off peak return will be cheaper than two singles - particularly if one of those singles is on the expensive side

An offpeak return is £79.70 - it won't sell out or go up.

There's a near zero chance that the advance fares will go down. They will either stay the same or sell out completely. Maybe even go up

Edited: 31 July 2014, 21:33
Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
8,064 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Strange pricing on trains from Manchester to London Euston

"So there is no chance the economy price will go down? Should I just book first class tickets now?"

Once advance fares go on sale, there is no chance they can go down. They remain at the lowest price until that quota sells out, then you get a higher price, etc, until there are only walk up fares left.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
8,064 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Strange pricing on trains from Manchester to London Euston

"An offpeak return is £79.70 - it won't sell out or go up."

Would be wise to get seats reservations on the train you are intending to get though. As the prices indicate these trains are likely to be busy.

Get answers to your questions about Manchester