We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to do in manchester?

Liverpool, United...
1 post
Save Topic
what to do in manchester?

I'm taking a trip to Manchester in the middle of August and I'm staying in the Radisson with a friend and we are wondering what things Manchester has to offer. Anyone know any nice places to eat or parks to visit etc? Or any nice clothes shops besides the arnadle (some independent men's/women's would be nice)

Thanks in advance

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6,494 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what to do in manchester?

Parks - the centre doesn't have much more than gardens.In a conservation area off Deansgate is St John's Gardens (the area around used to have many private medical people - now seems to include other professions):

manchesterhistory.net/manchester/gone/stjohn…

There's a lawned area on the other side of Deansgate in Great Northern Square and in Piccadilly Gardens (also some fountains there).

For larger parks you'd need to leave the centre - Heaton Park is one of the largest and can be reached from the Metrolink (tram):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaton_Park

I don't have a serious shopping gene so I hope others can help there.

In case you're not aware of it there are three Metroshuttle bus routes around the centre, roughly 7am-7pm, free. Map and app from:

www.tfgm.com/buses/Pages/metroshuttle.aspx

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
138 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what to do in manchester?

I'm not hot on shopping myself but the area around King Street is the place to look for designer labels, while the Northern Quarter has some nice quirky boutiques and vintage shops. For hardcore shopping you can take the X250 bus from Piccadilly Gardens to the Trafford Centre (about 30 mins).

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,010 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what to do in manchester?

I'm not big on shopping either - the only shops I vist when I go to Manchester are the record stores in the Northern Quarter.

You could take a tram down to Salford Quays which is nice to walk around and has several bars and restaurants dotted about, plus Media City and the Lowry Outlet:

http://www.lowryoutlet.co.uk/

Must admit, I've only been in there to use the loos when I was caught short on my way to Imperial War Museum North which I recommend a visit to. The IWM North is next to the new set of Corrie, not that you can get inside. ;-)

Edited: 06 August 2014, 18:17
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what to do in manchester?

Another vote for the northern quarter. There's some good shops, not like your high street shops. northernquartermanchester.com/

Also the craft and design centre is good and has a nice cafe. www.craftanddesign.com/

You might also like Afflecks palace www.afflecks.com/ which has a few quirky shops etc.

Manchester
Level Contributor
113 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what to do in manchester?

I wouldn't bother with shopping at the Lowry- there is nothing worth mentioning! The northern quater and aflecks are good for shopping and there are some quirky tea rooms- sugar junction on tin street is a lovely vintage tea room. For something a bit different look into an underground manchester tour!

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
4 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what to do in manchester?

We just returned from 3 days in Manchester, not having visited before. Make sure you use the Manchester Shuttlebus - it's amazing and free! There are 3 routes: Purple, Green and Orange. The buses stop all over the city centre and you just hop on and off as you like. Catch the buses at the Purple, Green or Orange bus stops (there is a schedule you can get at Piccadilly Station. We didn't use the car or taxis at all. As we were staying at the Dale Street Premier Inn, we were just 2 minutes' walk from Piccadilly and we caught the buses there most of the time. Enjoy your break!

7. Re: what to do in manchester?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2015, 05:17