We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant

London
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant

Am coming upto manchester for the weekend - what would be the best restaurant for a birthday meal (4 people)? Just called The Restaurant and they are fully booked....

I am staying at the Great St John, so somewhere near there would be ideal.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
1,944 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant

I think the Market Restaurant is the best restaurant in Manchester but it's quite a trek from your hotel. But, if you do go up there you'll get great food and there are quite a few funky bars nearby to make a night of it.

Albert's Shed (next to Dukes 92 pub) is very good and a similar sort of clientele to the restaurant. Quite big so you could probably get in there. Closer to your hotel but tricky to find if you don't know Castlefield.

Evuna is a very good Spanish restaurant (not a Tapas place). Owned by a Spanish wine merchant so has a very good wine list. Five mins walk.

The Grill on the Alley is very close to the restaurant. That's supposed to be good.

Piccolino's is a brilliant Italian restaurant. Just off Albert Square. Always busy and with a great atmosphere.

Koreana is pretty close as well. Not as 'fancy' as the restaurant but very good and quite unusual. Five mins walk also. The Yang Sing is the best Chinese in the country (supposedly)...in Chinatown with lots of choices...maybe ten mins walk.

Your hotel doesn't have that much around it...wherever you go will mean a bit of a walk or a short taxi ride.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
202 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant

The Market does serve good food its true, but the decor of the place isnt close to The Restaurant Bar & Grill IMHO.

If your looking for a "blingy" night out in a place like The Restaurant near to your hotel then try one of the following.

Le Petit Blanc - Very cool n trendy.

Stock - Italian Seafood place. Very nice inside. Across road from Le Petit Blanc

The Cocoa Rooms - Really cool place. Gordon Ramsey trained chef and very popular with the "in crowd".

Lounge Ten - On Tib lane not far from your Hotel and very sexy intimate restaurant with great food.

Obsidian - Part of the Arora Hotel and another full on bling place. Footballers wives aplenty !

Panacea - Very expensive footballers hang out below The Restaurant Bar and Grill. Has a restaurant and is hard to get a table at weekends. Bring your Platinum card !

Luso - Bridge Street near The Restaurant. Cristiano Ronaldo frequented brand new Portuguese restaurant.

All of the above would offer a closer experience to The Restarant Bar & Grill in my view, no offence at all NFMac (love your superb insights into Manchester by the way).

UK
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant

Avoid The Grill in the Alley unless you like overcooked food......

We went to this restaurant as it was serving Sashimi Tuna and Kobe beef. Our first choice was a Japanese restaurant, but we were tempted by the extensive menu.

Our champagne drink and raw oyster & chilli King Prawn starter was amazing, 2 of us had ordered the sashimi tuna and the other member of our party had chosen fillet steak med/rare......

The chef CAN NOT cook, or follow directions......

All 3 entrees arrive overcooked, to the extent of charcoal for the steak......

The chips were undercooked…..

Back went the food……

‘We ran out of tuna’

‘OK I’ll have the Kobe Beef……’

5 minutes later,

‘We ran out of Kobe beef’

‘Fine, how about the snapper, but hold the cream…..’

Our entrée finally arrived…… the fillet steak was like leather & the sashimi tuna was so overcooked it could have come out of a Morrison’s tin……

Oh yes……. The chips were undercooked….. Over an hour after we first ordered…..

The snapper was beautifully cooked.

Dessert was cheese, (Couldn’t be overcooked) with port.

Our champagne, Rose wine, starters, rocket salad, horseradish mash and cheese were excellent…….. The kitchen had little to do with any of that……… (cooked the King Prawns & mash beautifully)

We ended up not paying for our meal……. That was a management choice, not ours, our wait staff vacillated between Heather Mills & Madonna in aloofness & cool, but survived all that was thrown at her…… the manager (AGM for the company) became conspicuous by her absence as the meal degenerated into an episode from Candid Camera.

Would I go back? They do Caipiroska, serve decent champagne, and if the kitchen is not cooking the meal is excellent…….

Hopefully this was an aberration, a colleague had a great meal there 2 weeks ago……

BUT if I want sashimi & Kobe in Manchester, this is NOT the restaurant I would choose.

4. Re: Restaurant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2009, 02:17