We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

green motion car rental scam

Brantford, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
green motion car rental scam

My recommendation for anyone renting a vehicle out of Manchester Airport UK. stick with companies associated with the Rental Car Centre. I used an off premise company "Green Motion' and got trapped in a scam that cost me 128 extra pounds. After the fact, I reviewed Trip Advisor and found several other reports that were a duplicate to my scam. If you book a rental through several on line sites like rentalcars.com and they say the car is available through 'Green Motion'...JUST SAY NO. It will be the best decision you make

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
165 replies to this topic
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
11,335 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: green motion car rental scam

We locals are horrified how often this company seems to hit trustworthy people with this sort of scam. And your advice is good, to which I would add always check Tripadvisor forums in advance for every aspect of a trip.

If you look elsewhere on TA, you will find that this same company seems to apply similar scams at all airport eg Bristol & London.

I hope this atrocious company didn't spoil you visit to our country too much and that you will return.

Edited: 13 March 2015, 16:07
Mentioned in this post
Bristol
Bristol
England, UK
London
London
England, UK
North West England...
Level Contributor
1,825 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: green motion car rental scam

Gary, you asked on the 11th March if there are any rental companies to avoid at Manchester Airport, this is a reply that I posted on the same day..

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187069-i236-k82…

You are now telling us that you rented from Green Motion, I don't understand why you rented from them, or did you already know from past experience about Green Motion's reputation?

Edited: 13 March 2015, 17:09
Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: green motion car rental scam

We had exactly the same disgusting outcome and were taken for an extra AUD 500. We also had researched through care hire Manchester Airport and despite the fact there have been so many complaints and there is even a facebook page dedicated to closing them down they still exist...so wrong!!!

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
22,783 posts
362 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: green motion car rental scam

"We also had researched through care hire Manchester Airport and despite the fact there have been so many complaints and there is even a facebook page dedicated to closing them down they still exist...so wrong!!!"

___

You researched? Did you see any previous bad reviews of Green Motion and still went ahead and used them?

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
67,831 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: green motion car rental scam

Could there be any connection between people still using them despite the bad reviews and warnings, and them still being in business?

Reykjavik, Iceland
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: green motion car rental scam

I was cheated by Green Motion on the 18th of Oktober 2015. I rented a Volvo V60 for a week and made the mistake of not taking photos of the car and the wheels. I had NO accidents or mishaps of any kind during the lease time. When I returned the car a guy insisted that I´d pay 136 Pound for a 4x4 millimeters dent on one of the alloy wheels. You had to go very close to even see it! I am 99,9 % sure that it was there when I got the car, but I can´t proof it. The reason I am sure is that the guy walked straight to the wheel in question, as he new it would be there. TAKE PICTURES OF EVERYTHING IS MY ADVICE. I will certainly not rent a car from this company again.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: green motion car rental scam

Exactly what they did to us in 2014 the exact same procedure of going to an exact spot and there was a tiny mark we could hardly see yet it cost us even more than that. They knew we had to catch the train to Paris and would have to sign their paperwork just to get out of there. So many complaints have been put in about this disgusting rip off company yet they still trade their was even a facebook page devoted to warning people about how bad they are. We had gone through a company in Australia called Atlas Hire car that passes business on to them so I guess they too must be getting a cut. It really soured our European holiday and yes I agree TAKE PICTURES OF EVERYTHING IS MY ADVICE. however do it around the corner before you take the car back as we are pretty sure he made the mark as he walked around checking it out..keep spreading the word so that hopefully we can help others not to be scammed, so sorry this has happened to you as well.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Lesbos
Level Contributor
2,420 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: green motion car rental scam

I'd say that you need to take pictures when you get the car.

I had a hire car in 2006 and there was damage. I took time to get images and phoned them as the car was away from the office. I think I had it covered. Other reasons meant I didn't have to prove anything.

Curitiba, PR
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: green motion car rental scam

***stay away from Green Motion car rental at Manchester airport***

25 pounds for a two-day ELECTRIC car rental... awesome! But how can they do this?

Well we know the answer now: Green Motion charged us 400 pounds (which is coincidentally exactly the value of the deposit) at return, for stone chipmark on the windshield so tiny we wouldn't have recognized it had we looked ourselves. These guys really suck and soured our experience of the Liverpool/Manchester area. Is there something like a "better business bureau / customer protection agency" in the UK where we can file a complaint about this crooked businesses? Any advice is appreciated.

Date of occurrence: 22-May-16

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Liverpool
Liverpool
Merseyside, UK
Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
11,789 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: green motion car rental scam

An article about this company in yesterday's Guardian. theguardian.com/money/2016/may/21/tiny-scrat…

Reply to: green motion car rental scam
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted