We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

europe by car

NSW Australia
8 posts
Save Topic
europe by car

Planning a holiday touring spain, france, germany, austria, switzerland, northern italy. Approx. 8000 klm in 50 days.

questions.

where to get the cheapest hire car - car lease in france???

average fuel price

travelling late april - till early june, unsure wether we need to book accom

how cold in mid april

are ther school holidays in this time frame

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,548 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: europe by car

Check the following for rentals:

http://www.autoeurope.com/

http://www.europebycar.com/index.html

http://www.kemwel.com/index.cfm?

www.hertz.com

www.avis.com

http://www.ideamerge.com/

Average fuel price:

acl.lu/html/…prix_des_carburants.html

To save money, request a diesel.

Here is a list of French radar sites:

http://www.radars-auto.com/index.php

Here are great sources for travel planning:

www.mappy.com

www.viamichelin.com

You may want to mention where you are going to the rental agency. There are special requirements for Spain and travel into Italy usually means higher rental fees.

Hope this helps

New Zealand
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: europe by car

Hi Stumpy - fellow antipodean (sp?) here!

We spent four months travelling through Europe by car - fan-bloody-tastic! Really recommend you check out the Peaugeot scheme called "Eurolease", or the Renault equivalent called Eurodrive (or something similar). You willl find that for the length of time you are talking about you won't find a similar car cheaper through rental firms. You have to be non-EU resident (check), tourist only (check) and a few other conditions I can't remember now - but not onerous or outlandish.

We used Eurolease and were very happy. Checked out the kinds of cars available at our nearest Peaugeot dealer, I imagine Renault would be the same. Opt for diesal as it is VERY economical (we managed over 1000km per tank!). We were travelling from end of May till beginning of Septamber and found camping grounds etc easy to just turn up and get a place - but increasingly got harder closer we got to August/September - ie Summer holidays. France in MAy was very warm, not overly hot, Rome in july was unbearably hot (40 plus every day). You should have pleasant temperatures for the time you are travelling I would imagine.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: europe by car

ANother thing - Eurolease was good option also because of ability to pick up in one city and return to another - Paris and London in our case.

From memory we paid around $5000 NZD for 108 days lease, or about 20 something NZD per day. There was a week free in there I think because we booked during some sort of special promotion.

Genera tips for driving:

-Care needed driving before the midday meal when crazy Frenchmen are hurrying home to lunch, more care after the meal when aforementioned Frenchmen have consumed some of their country's fine wines.

- In France and Italy drivers do not seem to stop for pedestrians on Zebra crossings so give plenty of warning if you are about to stop so you don't get rear-ended, and of course as a pedestrian have your wits about you!. When we crossed the boarder from Italy to Austria the difference in zebra crossing behaviour was noticeable and immediate (ie Austrians DO stop).

-When driving on multilane highways, definately only move to the left hand lane when passing, and move straight back when passing manouvre is complete - little speedy cars will be on top of you and beeping before you know it, so get out of the way!

-The toll roads are definately quick - but you pay for the priviledge. If you are not on tight time frame use the free highways. If you do come to tolls, you can pay by cash, credit card (just put it into machine and it will spit out a receipt and your card) or pre-paid type card (we never used this so don't know much).

New Zealand
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: europe by car

But wait, there's more - we didn't attempt to drive in the big cities - too busy, too stressful and too difficult to park. Eg in Rome we found camping ground on outskirts of city, and got the train in to Rome proper (about 20 minutes). When visiting Florence (from our base in Volterra-small town) went to train station that was near supermarket carpark, so could par there and then catch train.

And finally, to keep you on the correct side of the road when turning corners (keeping right when going in a straight lione is quite easy, its the corners and roundabouts that are tricky!) - repeat this mantra

"Tight right - loose left"

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: europe by car

I have not heard of folks buying/leasing in France for your purposes - I think it might be that the taxes are too high - I usually hear about it being done in Belgium. Over the years, I have seen numerous ads in the English language paper placed by Ausies and Kiwis to buy cars and for cars for sale, often for VW vans of one sort or another.

Why not advertise in Sidney and Melbourne personals sections for someone who has done exactly what you want, and avoid reinventing the wheel?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: europe by car

As I said - check out Eurolease or Renault"s version of it. Any tax issues are avoided by the fact that the person doing the leasing is not an EU resident and is only a visitor (ie not a student, employed in EU etc).

Of course you can buy a car in Europe drive it around and then sell at the end, but for the hassle of trying to buy in a foreign country when you don't know the places to go, the conventions/rip offs/pitfalls amd then try to sell before you leave - all for 50 days use - does not seem good use of time to me.

Forgot to add -you organise the Eurolease from home through a travel agent (or maybe even the car dealership?) -AT any rate it is very easy. The guy we dropped our car off to at Hethrow on the way home said 99% of the Eurolease customers were Kiwi's, Aussies or South Africans - maybe it is not readily known about in North America? Or not available to them?

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: europe by car

We have used Peugeot EuroLease 3 times now.

Great cars, good service and good value. I couldn't say they are the cheapest. But I can say you won't have any problem with them.

We are going to use them again in May.

Last year we did 6600km in 40 days!

I wouldn't do that again.

Do you really want to drive that much?

Have a good holiday.

UK
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: europe by car

Here are the websites for the leasing option which will definitely be cheapest for you, car rental companies charge a hefty premium for renting in one country & dropping off in another, if they allow it at all -

www.peugeot.com/services/openeurope/en/

http://www.renault-eurodrive.com/

Diesel will work out cheaper at the petrol stations & you get more miles to the gallon, too.

You should be OK without booking accommodation at that time of year, it is out of the main holiday season. We've always found the local tourist offices very helpful when we've travelled this way, many of them will ring round & find you a place, at the very least they will give you a list of places to stay.

Check out www.weather.com for previous statistics in the places you intend to visit.

Have fun, it sounds a great adventure.......I'm jealous!!!

9. Re: europe by car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 10:26