We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train travel/Purchasing tickets

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
49 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Train travel/Purchasing tickets

What's the best way to purchase train tickets for France? I did a Google search for SNCF & the TGV and the ticket prices seem very high. I didn’t remember them being so high at all, even relatively speaking, in the past. I do realize that the high speed TGV are more costly. Is there a rail pass and, if so, does it include TGV? Is the best place to purchase train tickets directly on the website?

We are two adults & plan to be in France for about 2 weeks. We want to go from Paris to Dijon & Avignon, and maybe some other day trips. Thanks in advance for any information.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,714 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train travel/Purchasing tickets

rail passes include TGV, but you still have to pay reservation on top, ~3Eur each.

Washington state
Level Contributor
681 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train travel/Purchasing tickets

I think the main difference lies in the amount of flexibility you want. If you know the days and places you want to travel, and if you can buy your tickets far enough ahead of time, you can save a significant amount of money by buying point-to-point tickets through voyages-sncf.com. In some cases it can save you from ticket window hassles because you can print some types of tickets on your own computer.

Type into search window "MorganB's guide" and you'll find the link that explains how to use the french rail site.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
49 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train travel/Purchasing tickets

Thank you very much for responding, bibimbob & PJHistor. When I go to the rail pass website, it shows a supplement for the TGV, nearly always $22. Even from Dijon to Beaune, only ~20 minutes, shows a required supplement of $22.

I’m going to now do the search you suggested and see if I can better understand this before making the purchase.

4. Re: Train travel/Purchasing tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 00:18