We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Normandy to Alsace to Burgundy

Level Contributor
96 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Normandy to Alsace to Burgundy

I would love some feedback on this plan. We have two house-swaps arranged in France for July 9 - August 9, one of them in Brittany and one in Paris. I have a history buff son, so we want to visit Normandy, the Somme and Verdun. I'm an art historican, so I have to see some cathedrals and perhaps a chateau or more onthe way. Hotel recommendations are welcome.

Thursday July 19th stay at Mont St. Michel (my parents loved this place, so I have been dying to get there since hearing about it)

Friday July 20th, Sat. July 21st see the beaches at Normandy and the Bayeux tapestry over those 2 days

Sunday July 22 lunch in Rouen (which I also loved visiting with my parents), night near or in Amiens

Monday July 23 see the Somme battlefields, stay (if possible) at Coucy le Chateau (which sounded as if it had a wonderful ruined castle)

Tuesday July 24 go to Verdun for two nights, seeing also (if possible) Soissons, Noyon cathedrals (we saw Laon before and loved it)

Thursday July 26: begin our drive back west to Brittany (we are staying near Quimper)

I thought we might detour south to see Bourges and Blois. We stayed before at a wonderful chateau near Nevers that was not too expensive, so we may do that again.

Friday: July 27 back to "our" home near Quimper in Brittany.

That will give us about 10 days in Quimper before and 4 days after our trip to travel through some parts of Brittany, see the beaches, bike on an island or two, etc. We will be in Paris from Aug. 1 – 9, so we’ll have a week of sight-seeing there as well.

Recommendations for Brittany and Paris are also welcome.

Washington state
Level Contributor
685 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Normandy to Alsace to Burgundy

Maybe I missed something, but I'm not sure where Burgandy fits into the picture?

Level Contributor
96 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Normandy to Alsace to Burgundy

I guess my geography is off. I thought that the southern loop, Bourges and Nevers, was part of Burgundy.

Washington state
Level Contributor
685 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Normandy to Alsace to Burgundy

No, my mistake obsolutely. Somehow I missed that Nevers was in there. Sorry 'bout that.

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
2,087 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Normandy to Alsace to Burgundy

If you have time when visiting the Somme try to take in Peronne - excellent WW1 museum.

Vimey Ridge near Arras has preserved trenches and tunnels.

The memorial at Thiepval is very emotive too.

The Hotel Du Remparts in Peronne used to be good and is centrally located for the Somme region.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,998 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Normandy to Alsace to Burgundy

That's a lot of driving. As an art historician, it's going to be painful to be bypassing so much to get from place to place.

Do you know about Saumur in the western part of Loire (Brittany/Normandy end) with its tank museum? You can see some of the WW1 tanks still operational. Would Vezelay be more on path than Nevers? I can't think of anywhere else where I've seen little metallic clam shells embedded in the centers of the roads.

Level Contributor
96 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Normandy to Alsace to Burgundy

Thank you, great ideas on places I did not know about.

Yes, I will miss some things as an art historian, but I have already seen Laon, Reims, Chartres, Vezelay (and I loved them all). And I do love to drive, seeing as much countryside as well, so I don't think it will be too much.

I like Nevers because the Chateau de Villenmenant was amazing. It was not very expensive and we had half a floor with three 15th century connecting rooms (at least) and a great bath with castellations through which archers would shoot. And the medieval dinner was great. We would love to stop there again.

I will welcome other ideas as well.

Thanks again.

7. Re: Normandy to Alsace to Burgundy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 06:25