We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

January Lyon to ?

Melbourne
3 posts
Save Topic
January Lyon to ?

Hi

My partner and my son (6 years old) are heading to France in January 08 and will be based in Lyon and are spending a week in La Clusaz.

I'm hoping someone can tell me where would be great to go for 7 days from Lyon. We need to be back in Paris after 7 days. ie 6th to 13th Jan.

I was thinking about the Burgundy and then I heard of the Dordogne.

My dream is to stay in a Castle - hence the Dordogne...

Any help/suggestions would be great?

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,758 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: January Lyon to ?

Burgundy also has any number of castles in which you can stay. From Lyon you could take the TGV to Dijon, pick up a car, and make a nice tour of Burgundy. Check out the châteauxhotels.com web site (I think that's the right name, but if not someone will correct me).

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: January Lyon to ?

well january is not the best month to stay in a castle because most of them a closed (as a lot of hotels and restaurants are also closed in january). The cost of heating in a castle is very high and most of locos and tourists have no more money to spend in that month. But try (if you have a lot of money-lol-)

www.relaischateaux.com

or cheaper : chateauxhotels.com or www.chateauxdemeures.fr

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: January Lyon to ?

you have 2 castles open in the Burgundy area :

chateau Longecourt

chateau de la Chaise

but they have no web site, they are on a general web site, enter the name on google and search ...

Melbourne
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: January Lyon to ?

Thank you so much! Burgundy it is!! and Champagne then on to Paris.

Any other suggestions for those areas would be truly appreciated.

Thanks

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,758 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: January Lyon to ?

There's much to see in Burgundy, such as the Renaissance Château de Tanlay, near Chablis; the splendid Gothic cathedral in Autun; the fine-arts museum in Dijon (and much more); the ancient abbey of Fontenay; the Basilica of Ste-Mary-Magdelene in Vézelay.

Write to me at jean@multiwareinc.com if you'd like me to send you my three articles on Burgundy.

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,805 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: January Lyon to ?

Do be sure to check what is open in January and times before you visit somewhere.

For example Chateau de Tanlay is closed in January and the Abbey of Fontenay is only open 10-12 noon and 2-5pm. There is nothing worse than finding somewhere closed.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,758 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: January Lyon to ?

Good point, JBart. That's why I find the Michelin Green Guides so useful for trip planning.

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
156 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: January Lyon to ?

Our favourite part of France is impossible to state. Wherever you go, there are no bad decisions. Burgundy is fabulous but so is the Dordogne. Then again, so are the Alps, Provence, Languedoc....... The southwest region probably offers the best value but, like I said, no bad choices anywhere.

One great car trip took us from Dordogne to Lyon through the Auvergne. We stayed at a castle in Ally (Chatea de la Vigne), hosted by a wonderful couple. Up a winding stone staircase, sits one of the world's best miniature auto collections See the web site here:

pagesperso-orange.fr/chateau.de.la.vigne/

Perhaps this place is closed in January too but it's worth asking. Driving in the mountains and valleys of central France was magical but we were there in autumn.

Have fun in Lyon. I look forward to dining at Brasserie Georges the first day I return.

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,809 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: January Lyon to ?

From Lyon, I recommend that you have a day trip to Chambéry and Annecy.

Staying in a chateau depends on your budget. Have a look at these 2, not far from Lyon :

- chateau de pizay : http://www.chateau-pizay.com/

- and for luxury, chateau de bagnols : http://www.bagnols.com/

And you should have posted this on the Lyon forum, I didn't see it in right time, sorry.

10. Re: January Lyon to ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 16:16