We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opinions please !! - driving from CDG to Amiens

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
663 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Opinions please !! - driving from CDG to Amiens

Hi everyone! We are arriving CDG airport at 6.30pm in August - first time driving in Europe and from Australia so not used to driving on the right side of the road either.

We want to get to Amiens to spend 2 days in La Somme WW1 area first.

Are we better just to stay near CDG and take off the next day to Amiens? My daughter thinks we should head straight for Amiens from the plane so we will then have 2 full days to look around there and avoid another hotel hassle staying at CDG.

Due to the arrival time of 6.30pm and getting through all the red tape and then getting the hire car I'm not sure when we would arrive in Amiens and if it would still be daylight. Also how welcoming would a hotel in Amiens be at that time of the night (whatever time it turned out to be?)

Any opinions - advice please?

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,247 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Opinions please !! - driving from CDG to Amiens

If you are arriving from an international flight, avoid the temptation to continue onward to Amiens upon your arrival. During August it is still daylight quite late but fatigue and unfamiliarity can be huge factors contributing to highway accidents.

Stay in or near Paris the first night and depart the following day, preferably after the morning traffic has subsided.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
663 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Opinions please !! - driving from CDG to Amiens

We don't want to drive into Paris so could you or any other TA's suggest somewhere easy and close to drive to that would point us in the direction of Amiens?

Thanks

Jane

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,247 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Opinions please !! - driving from CDG to Amiens

My recommendation to avoid driving to Amiens upon CDG arrival included your staying at a convenient location (there are many hotels near CDG) and picking up your car the next day for the one and one half hour trip to Amiens. This might save one day's car rental expense.

To add clarity to your situation, if you arrive on schedule (18h30), are not waiting for luggage, you could be in a rental car as quickly as within one hour (19h30) for the 1+35 voyage (basically using A16) to Amiens, arriving there near 21h00.

If you arrive late at CDG, have checked luggage (the deliver of which could easily add 30 minutes to your processing time), have difficulties at the car rental desk, or become disoriented exiting CDG or elsewhere en route (look for the signs to A1); any of these problems will most likely delay your Amiens arrival into nightfall.

There is a wide selection of hotels very near CDG. In my view, the wisest approach is to plan to stay at one of these hotels and pickup your rental and continue on to Amiens the following morning.

To wit:

http://tinyurl.com/366guz

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
663 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Opinions please !! - driving from CDG to Amiens

Hi Sara

Instead of driving to Amiens the first night we may still end up renting a car from the airport but just drive to Senlis which appears to be just a few minutes from there. We always find it easier to rent straight from the airport to save all the hassle the next day.

Am I correct about Senlis being a few minutes away. We will be getting Sat Nav of course. Hubby has now reminded me that he has driven in the US on the opposite side of the road to what we are used to and had no problems.

Do you have any recommendations for a nice hotel near CDG? Being our first night in France I wanted to stay somewhere memorable.

5. Re: Opinions please !! - driving from CDG to Amiens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 21:16