We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Credit card - cash what is preferred

england
Level Contributor
197 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Credit card - cash what is preferred

Usually when i go on holiday i take a small amount of cash for ices, taxis, tipping and use my credit card for everything else as it has no commission charge. eg, i went to america last year took £300 cash and used credit card for the rest, will that work in France, not really sure what their preference would be, i know one of my hotels is only cash or travellers checks but i have already paid for the rest so thats not an issue.

Bradford, Yorkshire
Level Contributor
575 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Credit card - cash what is preferred

I have been to France at least twice a year for over 20 years. These days plastic is taken at all large retailers and the vast majority of smaller places too. Just check the door/window for your credit card sign. I always do as you suggest - use the card but carry some cash for small purchases (and enough emergency cash to get home). You can of course use your card to get cash at an ATM if needed.

France used to be almost exclusively restricted to their own 'Carte Bleu' card, but this is now part of Visa. However, the petrol stations with credit card pumps don't seem to have caught up. So on Sundays and out of hours the 24hr petrol sign may not apply to foreign cards, this is even true on some modern autoroute petrol stations with credit card pumps.

UK
Level Contributor
3,958 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Credit card - cash what is preferred

I have stayed in several hotels in France and Italy that didn't take plastic. Check with your bank how much cash you can take out daily, there is a limit. I once had a week's hotel bill to pay in cash and nearly forgot to take out enough cash each day to have enough to pay at the end of the week. Perhaps that's just me.

3. Re: Credit card - cash what is preferred

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 14:23