We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gas Prices- Driving vs Train

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
287 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Gas Prices- Driving vs Train

My husband and I are taking a train from Paris to Avignon. Then we are going to rent a car in Avignon for 3 days while staying in St. Remy. We were planning on driving from St.Remy to Nice and dropping the car of there. With the price of gas, are we better of returning the car to Avignon and taking the train to Nice? It doesn't appear to be much difference in cost to me. Do others see it differently?

Car Rental $180 (for 3 days no matter where we drop it off Nice or Avignon)

Train - Avignon to Nice ($38 X 2) = $76

Gas - Avignon to Nice 160 miles ~$8-9 gallon

Thanks,

JND

Bradford, Yorkshire
Level Contributor
575 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gas Prices- Driving vs Train

You,ve done your sums....The cost of 'gas' works out slightly cheaper, but the difference is not great.

Forget the pricing as it is close. Consider the different travel methods. Train times are not at your convenience, it is a direct route, and you see whatever you pass by without stopping. By car (away from the autoroute) you have a great opportunity to see a great deal of an interesting region, go where you want, stop to explore wherever you want, at the times you want. Direct is 2.5 hrs driving so lots of timr to detour.

There is so much to see and enjoy off the beaten tracks by car, which you will miss if you use the metal railed trains. Go and explore.

Eg Through the Luberon region via Apt (wine), to Moustiers-Saint-Marie (decorated pottery), Lac de Saint Croix (blue lake), the Grand Canyon de Verdun (deepest canyon in Europe), Castellane (old town on the Route Napoleon), Grasse (world perfume centre), Niece. That's 4.75 hrs driving, chance to stop and see. Would you get that on a train?

Have a great time.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
287 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gas Prices- Driving vs Train

Thanks, that's what I needed. The cost was about the same but I wasn't sure if the drive would be fun and relaxing or if it would be easier to observe looking out the train window. We'll drive.

Tours, France
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gas Prices- Driving vs Train

By the way, if you ask for gas for your car in Europe, you are saying that your car runs on LPG (liquified petroleum gas).

Most cars in Europe run on either petrol or diesel.

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gas Prices- Driving vs Train

You may want to consider renting a diesel car instead of a gas/petrol fueled car. While diesel fuel frequently costs somewhat more, diesel fueled cars do get about 40% more MPG/KPL, and that will enable you to see alot more per fill-up. You should also consider keeping your car during your stay in Nice, since having a car will enable you to see more of the Cote d'azur withourt having to rely upon public transportation and adhering to their schedules rather that one that you have set.

Whatever you do, get youself some good maps - I recommend Michelin maps #340,341, and 332, they are high resolution and have scenic routes marked in green, which makes them very easy to use. Also, make sure to get either the Green Michelin guides for both Provence and the French Riviera/Cote d'Azur or the Blue Guide for Provence prior to your departure and use them to familiarize yourself with the region. I also really like the Cadogan Guide for the South of France, The Rough Guide for Provence and the Cote d'Azur, and the Ulysses Guide for Provence and the Cote d'Azur - each one has somewhat different styla and format, but having this type of information with you will only serve to enhance your provencal adventures.

But most important, remember to always take the road less travelled and enjoy the beautiful small towns and villages of Provence, isn't that why you are going there?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
287 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gas Prices- Driving vs Train

Hi Alpilles Gal,

Thanks for the good advice. My initial plan was to keep the car during our time in Nice and drop it off at the airport when we left. I put in a post and a lot of people told me the parking in Nice was so bad to get rid of it right away.

We will be arriving in Nice on Friday AM and flying out early Sunday morning (7 AM). From my research the Corniches look like a place that it would be nice to have a car. Would you drive in on Friday and go to the Corniches then drop it off at the train station to avoid all the parking issues or return it to the airport on Sunday AM. I hadn't decided what we were going to do on Saturday yet- I guess that would make a difference.

JND

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gas Prices- Driving vs Train

I would probably try to drop off ym luggage wherever you will be staying Friday and Saturday night then spend the rest of Friday doing the Corniches or whatever else you decide on for the rest of Friday and ALL of Saturday.your last day in theSouth of France.You might want to consider doing lunch at Restaurant Bacon, Cap d'Antibes - the seafood is awsome

I urge you to drop the car off at the airport on Sunday morning - in all of our many years of doing car drop-off at the Nice Airport, it has never taken more than 10-12 minutes so you won't have to plan on arriving at the airport super early just because of dropping off the car

Hope this helps.

7. Re: Gas Prices- Driving vs Train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 05:26