We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South of France- 1st time!! Help!!

Sheffield, UK
Level Contributor
94 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
South of France- 1st time!! Help!!

My GF and I have booked to go to South of France for first time in Sept.We are both in 20's and like most things!We fly into Marseille and have 3 weeks altogether.We have 2 nights after arriving with no accom at present(Stay in Marseille? Expensive? Alternatives?) We have then booked a mobile home on a site in Frejus for a week,then straight to a mobile home on a site in Antibes for a week.We then have 4 days spare at the end before flying home from Marseille.

Questions are; car v train for getting around? stay in Marseille for 1st 2 nights or somewhere else? Last 4 nights, Sardinia maybe?!..or Hyeres?

Any advice/reccomendations would be greatly appreciated, I trust you all and this is our first time!!

PS We are on something of a budget with it being 3 weeeks,am i being ambitious?

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: South of France- 1st time!! Help!!

You really have to do some research so you know where the things that most interest you are. There have to be some parameters for the forum - "we like most things" isn't any sort of guidance at all.

One piece of advice I can give you is to get your accommodations squared away, ASAP. September is very high season in most of France, and it's not going to be easy. Try www.venere.com.

Sheffield, UK
Level Contributor
94 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South of France- 1st time!! Help!!

Thank you for reccomendation for accom. Sorry for vague question, didn't want to waffle too much! We, basically would like to visit the main places along the coast (if possible?) From Marseille, Hyeres(?) St Tropez, Frejus, Antibes, Nice, Cannes, Monaco etc,Sardinia? We haven't planned on a car, but could? Can we visit the main places by public transport?

We have already booked 1 week on a site in Frejus and the 2nd week on a site in Antibes and plan to use those as a base to travel from, so we just have 2 days at beginning and four days at end to sort.We're unsure about where to spend them.

Again, really appreciate the help.

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
Level Contributor
7,307 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South of France- 1st time!! Help!!

I don't think there are boats from Marseilles to Sardinia.

Maybe you mean Corsica? Sardinia is Italy.

Bradford, Yorkshire
Level Contributor
575 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South of France- 1st time!! Help!!

Frejus & Antibes? Quite close together, about 50km / 40mins apart. You could do the whole coast from either base, and the hinterland also, with a car. Besides the obvious convenience of your own transport you can reach so many more places that you wouldn't even consider on public transport.

Sardinia? Most of a day to fly there, most of a day back, not much time to experence the large island in the remaining time, and an expensive detour on a budget.

Hyeres would be good, but then it is only an hour from Frejus.

If you are using Marseille airport and want to stay at other costal locations nearer - the first 2 nights could be at Carry-le-Rouet or Sausset-les-Pins on the Cote Bleu, and the last nights at Sannary-sur-mer or Bandol.

Sheffield, UK
Level Contributor
94 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: South of France- 1st time!! Help!!

Thank you for the suggestion Re; coastal locations nr Marseille. Will defo consider these,will these be less expensive than Marseille for accom?

As we stand, we haven't arranged a car. Would it be an idea to take a car for a week out of the three and go exploring? Are the major coastal places possible to visit by public transport from Antibes?

Eg; Antibes-Cannes/St Tropez/Nice/Monaco

Sorry for ignorance but not sure of distances involved or regularity of trains/buses?

Purposely booked site nr train station!

Thanks again

6. Re: South of France- 1st time!! Help!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 07:17