We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Week in South France b4 going to Italy best base help please

Perth
Level Contributor
511 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Week in South France b4 going to Italy best base help please

Hi, We are two couples planning to travel from France to Italy in May. We plan to stay a week in France. As we have never been there where would be the best place to base ourselves. Somewhere near Avignon?

Hautes Pyrenees
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Week in South France b4 going to Italy best base help please

Check out the Hautes Pyrenees it's only 2hrs south of Toulouse.

The pilgrimage town of Lourdes and the Route for the Tour de France passes the Col du Tourmalet.

If your into walking there are many walks in the Bagneres de Bigorre area Lac Bleu {The Blue Lake} Lac D'ourrec and the Fabulous Observatory on top of the Pic du Midi de Bigorre.

If you would like any other info on the area and english speaking B&B'S please ask.

Have a great trip

Perth
Level Contributor
511 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Week in South France b4 going to Italy best base help please

Thanks pyreneeswlker. My husband follows the Tour de France every year on tv. He has completed 10 Ironman triathlons in NZ so enjoys watching the race. The scenery looks just amazing. I will check out the places you have mentioned. We plan to travel from France to Cinque Terre and then to lake Como. A bit daunting as to which way to go and where to stop. We will have a month total. Any other advice would eb much appreciated.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
452 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Week in South France b4 going to Italy best base help please

Pyrenees are a long long way from Italy. You don't say how you will be getting there, or what things you like to do, but Nice is a standard destination which is easy to get to, has good transport links, and something for everyone, and is only a few miles from the Italian border, so would seem an obvious choice.

Perth
Level Contributor
511 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Week in South France b4 going to Italy best base help please

Thanks David4758. It looks like Emirates flies from Australia to Nice so yes would be best place to focus on. We will hire a car for the month we are away. Have heard Avignon Nimes area is lovely. I will have to some more research regarding travelling times driving from France to Italy. We enjoy visiting the villages and basically seeing a bit of hisory seeing that living in Perth doesnt give us that opportunity. We spent a week in Tuscany recently and just loved that.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
452 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Week in South France b4 going to Italy best base help please

If you base yourself in Nice then car rental is pretty expensive, and the public transport links are really good, particularly the train which goes right along the coast, and is a very relaxed way to get about while still seeing the sights. There's also a cute little Train Aux Pignes which goes up into the hills behind Nice - one of its stops is Entrevaux which is a spectacular medieval village in good walking country if you like that kind of thing.

I'd think for a week in Nice you really wouldn't miss having a car.

Perth
Level Contributor
511 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Week in South France b4 going to Italy best base help please

Hi David4758 I followed up your info and looks like a gorgeous village to visit by train.Im thinking we could stay just out of Nice. Avignon looks lovely. It looks like lots of places to see from there. Am I right in thinking that. Im not a fan of big cities

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Week in South France b4 going to Italy best base help please

Sorry to jump in.

Avignon and the surrounding area is worth a visit and is about two hours drive from Nice.

Avignon itself is a large town so I would base myself in one of the lovely small towns perhaps in a B&B or self catering Gite.

I would suggest la Isle sur la Sorgues or St Remy - both very pretty Provencal towns.

If you are interested in taking thsi further may I suggest you post in the Provence forum where there are several regulars who will all have their own excellent suggestions.

8. Re: Week in South France b4 going to Italy best base help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10 November 2015, 16:17
Perth
Level Contributor
511 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Week in South France b4 going to Italy best base help please

thanks everyone, Well I think we will stay near avignon for a week and then stay near Nice for a week and then drive to Cinque Terre in Italy and then up to Lake Como. Any suggestions of best villages to visit in Avignon area and nice area?

10. Re: Week in South France b4 going to Italy best base help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 October 2015, 14:20