We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

camping in france

saddleworth ,nr...
4 posts
Save Topic
camping in france

i'm hopining to go camping some where in france for a week with my girl friend and 18 month old son , never been to france before , planning to take all our own equipment and travel by car , a beach based camp would be ideal or a short distance to coast , prob for 10 days , and would consider moving about to see different places maybe few days by sea and few somewhere totally different , also any ideas of breaking journey up a bit travelling from manchester so will be long drive ,any ideas welcome

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
488 reviews
from US$73.70*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,167 reviews
from US$110.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
584 reviews
from US$52.10*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$302.90*
US$336.60
France
Level Contributor
322 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: camping in france

You should book as soon as possible because the good sites/places go fast. Which part of France were you thinking of?

saddleworth ,nr...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: camping in france

not too sure really , better climate if poss , few bars etc not lively , nice quaint place, both quite active , but a beach nearby would be good , as were driving with 18 month child some where not too long of a journey ,we would have 5 hour drive to ferry so some where same distance or less would be ideal thinkin of overnight ferry to break journey up , thinkin of travelling in june but not tied to any date or month , is there any where you'd reccomend ,thanks for reply happy new year

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
244 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: camping in france

Hi there

You will find the weather changeable until June / July

How far do you want to drive a day --we used to do Calais to Montpelier region in 12 hours by sharing driving between 2 of us -with the caravan on the back too no problem.

We prefer the Med coast and have routes that avoid Paris so it's easier either to the East or West of France

T othe East we visit Beziers and Agde to the West we go to Canet, Argeles and Spain

Tell me a bit more specific and I'll go into detail for you

Gray

4. Re: camping in france

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 29 October 2015, 14:02
Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
244 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: camping in france

You hardly scratched the surface of Carnac in 10 days especially all the little villages and their restaurants (most of them fish ones of course) and of course all the 10,000 standing stones

Then there's Quiberon which is an area to visit all on it's own if only for the Oysters fresh in the Market.

The point is though - Nigelmart have their own equipment, so are far more flexible than the Eurowotsit (my nickname for Eurocamp/Matthews/Keycamp who are all one company) especially as you can get a Dover /Dunkerque crossing for less than £100 return and can camp on municipals for less than €10 a day so doing the sums we are taking our caravan down the Centre/West side this year in to Spain

our projected costs are

Ferry £120 (with caravan return)

Fuel £300

Tolls £100

sites fees £120 for 21 nights

IF we went multi-centre by Eurowotsit it would cost us at least double that and we would be limited to where we can go At present we have 12000 campsites in our POI on the Sat-Nav that are all open in July and we don't need to book any of them. Although by late July they do get pretty full and booking is recommended.

Bradford, Yorkshire
Level Contributor
575 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: camping in france

I suggest you narrow your destination down a little. to a Department, prefrabbly a Region, or stretch of coast. You will get far more info for your destination that way. France is twice the size of GB and varies a lot.

What do you want from your holiday, what do you like, what interests you? Without definate requirements we are working blind.

The travelling with an eighteen month old is easy compared to older kids. You know when he sleeps so plan your travel around it. Travelling at night worked for our family for many years.

Wherever you go you will remember it.

saddleworth ,nr...
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: camping in france

think we need to read up a bit more to choose an area, we'd really like a beach at some point , also like country side and traditional villages , nice food etc loire valley costal side we've had bit of a look at , just seein if any 1 knows any extra special places well worth a trip to , we'll be takin our own camping gear , facilities on site we'd like showers at least , appriciate surroundings and views more than facilties , any ideas

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
244 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: camping in france

To find out some areas and whats available camping try

www.lescampingsdefrance.com/index_uk.php

the website is in English mostly but it will help you find any number of sites

the other problem is htat some of us love certain areas of France far more than others

eg

We HATE Pas De Calais

but Love

17 & 66

going to make you find them for yourself LOL

no I'm not -- Charente Maritime and Pyrenes Orientales both are totally different but we love them for different reasons

Spain is the same some areas you will love some you will hate

I know of one person who ONLY will visit the Loire valley for him that is his France but I look at it as you have to visit lots of places to find what YOU like.

saddleworth ,nr...
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: camping in france

benn reading up a bit about where we fancy goin , vendee is lookin good , st jean de monte , sables de o'lonne areas , have you any info on this area could you reccomend any good camp sites , are there any villages to go at night etc for meals are they walkable or ataxi ride away , any info would be great help

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
244 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: camping in france

Hi Nige

Not been to these areas

What you find is France alters just as much as the UK 25 miles away is a different country

You may find that taxi's are non existant as they are around Montendre where we go

will chat to a few folk that I know over there and get back to you