We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help chosing time to visit in April or May

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
498 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Help chosing time to visit in April or May

My Plan was to visit France from 4/15/09 - 4/28/09 starting in Paris and ending in Nice.

But then I found out about these items:

Hubby doesn't want to have to wear a winter coat.

Paris school break is 4/11 - 4/27

Nice school break is 4/18 - 5/4

May 1 and May 8 are holidays

Monaco Grand Prix is 5/21 - 5/24

My 40th birtday is on the 16th.

I like to avoid peak times and crowds when planning my vacations.

Are sites crowded during the school breaks?

Are places open during National Holidays?

I really wanted to be in Paris for my birthday, but when spending this much on a vacation, other things need to be considered, What's a girl to do?

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
344 reviews
from US$60.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,257 reviews
from US$105.79*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
535 reviews
from US$43.78*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Palace of Versailles...
497 reviews
from US$304.00*
Billings, Montana
Level Contributor
177 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help chosing time to visit in April or May

Why don't you reverse your trip? I know Delta flies nonstop to Nice from New York. As long as you aren't in the mountains, a light jacket should be enough most places in the early morning or evening.

If you'll be taking trains, especially TGV's, be sure to have reservations, as they will be heavily used during school breaks.

Very little is open on national holidays, and stores aren't open on Sundays either. Many restaurants offer the big Sunday dinner at lunch, then close in the evening.

You can check for opening times/days on websites or in guidebooks for museums, castles, etc..

Since France staggers the school breaks, I haven't noticed a problem in the past with crowds. The break in February is basically for skiing, so I imagine everyone heads to the mountains, but April?

2. Re: Help chosing time to visit in April or May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 00:18