We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Decent town to stay overnight in.

NY,NY
Level Contributor
65 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Decent town to stay overnight in.

We are driving from Loire Valley to Avignon. On our last day in Loire valley we are planing on heading down towards Avignon but only doing a three hour drive that night to split that drive in half. I wasn't sure which town to stay in? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Essex
Level Contributor
28,198 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Decent town to stay overnight in.

The Loire Valley is very long, the Loire, at 692miles is the longest River in France.

Where do you think you will be setting off from - that will make an important difference as to potential places to recommend for you!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loire_River

NY,NY
Level Contributor
65 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Decent town to stay overnight in.

Honestly I don't know. We were just planing on visiting a few chateaus(Tours, Amboise) and then heading south. I'm open to recommendations. I'm only planing on staying in Loire for two days.

Essex
Level Contributor
28,198 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Decent town to stay overnight in.

OK, lets use Tours as your putative 'start' point, as it's relatively 'central' Chateau-wise!!

(I do understand about the 'touring' aspect of your plans, believe me!!)

OK, it's a city, really, but I'd like to suggest Le Puy en Velay. I 'stumbled' across this place when I was 'lost-in-France' once, and still can't get over how amazing it is.

I don't want to tell you too much, as it would spoil the surprise, but if you drive down into the City from the Vichy direction and the Massif Central, you will find something amazing!!

Failing that, just drive through the Massif Central on the D906 and you will see many pretty places that you might like to stay.

NY,NY
Level Contributor
65 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Decent town to stay overnight in.

EssexWanderer, tell me more! I might miss it if I don't know what I'm looking for! haha

Thanks for your suggestion. Will look into it. Do you have any more town suggestions just in case I can't book a hotel in the town you mentioned. Also some place easily accessible from major highways and with restaurants/stores might be good since we don't speak French and have never been there.

Thanks Again!

5. Re: Decent town to stay overnight in.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 29 October 2015, 17:40
Essex
Level Contributor
28,198 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Decent town to stay overnight in.

Puy has plenty of shops & Restaurants, you won't go hungry or 'without' anything that you might need. There is also plenty of accommodation of all sorts.

On this occasion, we asked at the Tourist Office (as didn't have any info about Puy before we got there (in fact, didn't even know it existed!!) and were well looked after.

The reason why we were 'lost-in-France' was due to originally intending to go to the Black Forest region, but then staying in France instead, because the weather was better there!!

Bradford, Yorkshire
Level Contributor
575 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Decent town to stay overnight in.

As per Essex & Diz - Le Puy is (until now) a well kept secret. As they haven't told you why I won't break their confidentiality. I haven't found anywhere else like it in this continent.

Le Puy is the regional city of the Haute-Loire region so it has all the facilities you could need.

I have stayed centrally, which was convenient to stroll through the town in the evening, but you can check out the hotels and parking for yourself. The everyday restaurants were fine, but if you want somewhere above average there is a marked price difference and many are not in the centre.

Our last two visits we stayed just outside and drove in early evening for the atmosphere and aperetifs. The hotel had a restaurant popular with locals, well priced, and good standards eg choice of 11 cheeses and 9 house made desserts (pick & mix or one large portion).

http://www.hotel-le-brivas.com/

Le Puy is over half your travelling distance, if you need somewhere just under half distance I would suggest Vichy.

Vichy is an old spa town with ornate wrought iron and glass pavillion serving all the available waters, on the edge of a tree lined park. Historically the seat of WWII Vichy government. It has varied architecture (esp art nouveau) and riverside parks and walks.

This hotel, on a side street just off the very centre, has spa baths in the rooms and private parking 50m away

http://www.hotel-midland.com/

Whichever town you stay in you will have time to visit the other place. You will enjoy your stay.

8. Re: Decent town to stay overnight in.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 November 2009, 06:40