We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gites - things to bring from home?

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
83 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Gites - things to bring from home?

Never stayed in a gite before - nor a timeshare, which is sort of the same concept - and we're wondering what sort of kitchen items we should bring from home. We plan to hit a grocery/market the first day or so, but don't want to have to buy everything. For example, we like sweetner for our coffee, so we'd bring packets of that.

But what other things make sense? Do gite kitchens have salt and pepper?

Thanks!

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gites - things to bring from home?

Totally depends on the gite in question. Some are totally bare, others have lots of items stocked in the kitchen and bathrooms.

We always stocked basic necessities in our rental - salt, pepper, a good supply of toilet tissue, spices, soaps, all cleaning materials, paper towels, shampoo and there was always a bundle of fresh items such as butter, baguette, wine, crackers, cookies, milk, mustard, olive oil, etc. All supplied fresh prior to guests arrival.

Each place varies.

We would also offer to place any items the rentor wished in the kitchen prior to their arrival. In other words, do the shopping for them. Some people did opt for this. We would then give them the receipt for the items and they would reimburse us.

The only way to really know what will or won't be in the gite is to ask the person/agency you've rented it from. They should be able to give you a good idea.

I wouldn't pack much to bring over from the USA. Enjoy a good shopping trip here. It's fun !

UK
Level Contributor
2,843 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gites - things to bring from home?

For many years when the children were little we would rent rural properties in France. In the majority of cases we found only the very basics on arrival. Previous guests had often left various items rather than transport them home so there was a real eclectic selection including herbs, spices, sauces and oils.

We always stopped en route to the property and bought enough for our first meal and then having seen what was there did the main shop the following day.

The kitchen items we usually found missing were good sharp knives, saucepan lids and a kettle but these items we quickly adjusted to.

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,321 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gites - things to bring from home?

Hi there,

As toutou says,it totally depends on the property.

We have rented in France for about 30 years.When we started out it was always in a fairly simple less expensive gite.Nowadays we can afford to be a little grander and have a private pool.

These properties have varied enormously as to what the kitchen cupboards contained and it isn't necessarily the cheapest place that is the poorest stocked.

Sometimes we have had just the correct number of plates mugs etc for the number of people the property sleeps.In others we have found a good assortment ofchina and cutlery.Some have had virtually no extras such as tea,sugar salt and pepper.The other extreme was a house which had so many cans and packets taking up cupboard space that we had to spend time sorting through it all and discarding opened things well past their prime!

Usually though, you will find basic cleaning materials and toilet tissue to start you off and sometimes washing detergent.

We now always take our favourite spices in small quantities to save having to buy a large pot for just a week or two.We generally wait until we have seen the place and taken stock of just what is there before heading out to the supermarket.Sometimes previous occupants will have left charcoal for the barbecue,sometimes there is none,so it pays to check first.

I would say, take anything you can not do without and is unlikely to be available in France and which doesn't weigh a ton. Then have fun shopping in France and trying out different products.It's all part of the fun of being in a new country.

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
83 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gites - things to bring from home?

We're definitely looking forward to perusing the grocery aisles and spending time at the morning outdoor markets.

As someone said, perhaps we'll just leave behind what we don't use. Thanks for everyone's input.

Tours, France
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gites - things to bring from home?

Generally, you should expect to find all cooking items as well as sufficient crockery and glassware.

In a traditional French gite, that was about all you would find. The gite was a basic accomodation only holiday property.

These days gites have generally moved up market, and at the risk of provoking some criticism, I would say that is definitely so in the case of French gites owned by non French people.

In our gite we always make sure that there is toilet rolls; as well as salt, pepper, washing up liquid, dishwasher tablets etc.

Be especially careful about bed linen, i.e. sheets and pillow cases. In the case of the traditional French gite, you would have to bring your own bed linen, towels, tea towels etc. These, days, in the more up market gite, you could reasonably expect to find these provided.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,169 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gites - things to bring from home?

It always varies, but I always pack a few things, because there are some common threads --

1) Sharp knives -- I used to buy a very cheap (like $3) set of kitchen knives at Walmart and put them in my checked luggage -- never a security problem. Then I leave them as a gift for the next folks. I don't know why, but sharp knives are difficult to find in a rental property.

2) Favorite herbs and spices -- go to the pharmacy, and buy the biggest pillminder you can find -- the one that has 7 compartments. These will hold a tablespoon or so of your favorite seasonings -- I carry garlic powder, thyme, parsley, cinnamon...the stuff I use all the time. Wrap it tightly in cellophane and put it in your checked bag. Cheap enough to dump on the way back.

3) Clothespins. Never enough, and usually broken.

4) a kitchen towel or two -- most of the ones I've seen are burned or full of holes.

Other than that, make sure that linens are included, then go take a look as to what's there before you do a stocking trip to the store.

I also usually stopped and picked up a pastry from a supermarket and a big can or jar of cassoulet, and a baguette -- then we could have a warm supper and not go back out if we were tired.

7. Re: Gites - things to bring from home?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2010, 07:35