We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ferry from portsmouth

Devizes,wilts
Level Contributor
92 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
ferry from portsmouth

Hi

used the brittany ferry route before and been pleased with the service on the fast/slow crossing,also used to use the PandO route both were fine for our onward journey.

we are going again in sept.and see the fast crossing not available so for a slow daytime crossing the LD line price is SO much cheaper than the Brittany route.

Is the LD line crossing ok or do we have to stand up all the way and paddle? the price differential is huge for 2 adults 4 kids and a car

anyone done the L D crossing and survived?

cheers steve

Tours, France
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ferry from portsmouth

We have done P&O when they used to do the Le Havre route, Brittany Ferries, and LD Lines. We only used LD Lines a few times, because with only one boat their sailing times did not always suit us, plus it was almost impossible to get a cabin on the overnight crossing. Apart from those considerations LD was OK.

I see that they now have two boats on the route, and the new one looks bigger, so maybe the cabins won't be a problem. I shall try them again on our next trip back to England.

Devizes,wilts
Level Contributor
92 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ferry from portsmouth

thank you

i will let you know how it goes

cheers

Devizes,wilts
Level Contributor
92 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ferry from portsmouth

hi Sunlover,

we got back from ourfrench trip last weekend, used ld lines went out wed pm on a Trans Manche ferry very basic but pleasent we took our own food but it had all we needed tea coffee didnt check out the other catering arrangements as we found a seat in thebar area and did not move

returned on sunday night on an ld line ship it was bigger and had more facilities , we ended up sitting near the little italy cafe, again we only bought coffee and tea but the meals comeing out looked good and the prices were on par.

the crossing was really rough and lot of people were ill including 4 of my family, there was puke everywhere you looked, and i have been on ferries before were it just stays there.

the LD staff were great, they just got on and cleaned it all up without fuss and were constantly checking areas ad cleaning, my wife has written to them complementing there attention to cleanliness.

we would travel with LD lines again, if i can persuade my children to return to France on a boat they say tunnel next time!

cheers steve

Andover, UK
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ferry from portsmouth

Have used LD Lines since they started on the Portsmouth-Le Havre route (a lot cheaper than Brittany Ferries - even with the Property Owners discount) but they have now changed ships.

The old Norman Spirit was very good with easy loading and many facilities - even if you don't manage to get a cabin, their "sleeper seats" are more than adequate for the overnight crossing.

However, made the trip both ways this November in another ship - the Côte d'Albâtre - which has now replaced the Norman Spirit and it is most unsuitable for this crossing. The loading/unloading ia a nightmare and long-winded and the facilities on board really unsuitable for a long crossing - minimum number of cabins, no sleeper seats, very poor restaurant. I will not be using them again until the new ferry comes into service sometime next year.

JohnO

5. Re: ferry from portsmouth

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2010, 05:23