We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another newbie needs help

Ottawa
Level Contributor
149 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Another newbie needs help

Hello

This is my first time on this forum. I am planning a first trip to France for the end of September for my husband and I. We are thinking of a 15 day trip, but are very confused as to how to divide our time. We will fly into Paris and spend 5 nights there. I want to have 5 nights in St. Remy to see that area, but not sure what to see the rest of our time. I am considering either Burgundy, Strasbourg area or the Rhone Valley. Would it be best to go to Provence first then work our way up, or the other way around. We will rent a car as needed, is it possible to rent in one place and drop off some where else. I just need a starting itinerary so I can book flights. Thank you.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another newbie needs help

You need to tell us what your interests are, what type of scenery you like, what size cities, towns or villages you want to stay in and what you like to do on holiday.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
149 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another newbie needs help

Hi

We are between 45-55 yrs old enjoy nice scenery, browsing shops and markets, good food and wine, we don't hike. Would prefer smaller towns and quaint places. I like the sound of the wine route from Strasbourg, also Dijon and area sound interesting. Maybe it would be more complicated to get to St. Remy from the end of the wine route near Colmar. Any ideas would be appreciated. Sorry for the vague question, I'm overwhelmed by possibilities.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another newbie needs help

The order you do it in doesn't really matter, and you can drop a hire car off at another location - some firms charge E50 for the pleasure, but it's not usually a huge fee, unless it's in a different country.

You could consider just dividing your time between Provence and Paris, so you really have time to explore. Or, you could perhaps spend one night between Paris and St Remy each way, just to make the drive more interesting. I'm not an expert on all parts of France, but my favourite places/scenery tends to be to the South of Clermont Ferrand. I would be tempted to spend a night somewhere around the Lot/Dordogne region, and another in the Cevennes somewhere north of Le Vigan - both stunning scenery and very different to each other. However, pin-pointing places which are small and quaint is an impossible task, as they all are - you will be spoilt for choice...

Others on here may know more about the wine routes than I do.

4. Re: Another newbie needs help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2010, 07:24