We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What could I cover in 20 days?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
What could I cover in 20 days?

After convincing feedback on this forum on my proposed 12-day trip, I have decided to extend my trip to 20 days. Initially, I had wanted to do 3 days in Brussels, 5 days in Paris and 4 days in Nice.

I would like wipe my slate clean and ask you for advice on itinerary planning.

I shall land in Brussels on 2-Sep and depart from Brussels on 22-Sep. What parts of the Schengen-area Europe could I cover in 20 days? I plan to travel by train, fly and do not wish to rent a car. I am an energetic, solo traveler on a first trip to Europe.

Thank you all.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What could I cover in 20 days?

There is absolutely no way anyone can answer this question. Obviously in 20 days you cannot visit the entire Schengen area so you will have to make some choces about where to go and what to see. Nobody here has the slightest idea what your interests are. Do some homework and pick out the countries and the cities and/or more rural areas in those countries that intrigue you. Put together a rough itinerary and then we can help you determine its feasibility, assist you with logistics, suggest refinements and other places you have overlooked that might enhance your trip and so on.

But we cannot plan your trip for you, especially as you have told us nothing about yourself or the kind of trip you want. other than that you are energetic

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What could I cover in 20 days?

Agreed - and what/where is the Schengen area?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,272 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What could I cover in 20 days?

Schengen states vs EU

www.axa-schengen.com/en/schengen-countries

Many people get a visa that is valid for 90 days out of any 180 days in the Schengen States. More than that and they breach their visa. So while not particularly relevant in this case, it is very relevant for people making an extended holiday in Europe.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,302 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What could I cover in 20 days?

We've just returned from roughly 19 nights in France (plus 1 night in Dublin, and 3 in the UK). We stayed in 4 bases in France (The Loire Valley, The Landes Region, The Dordogne and North East of Paris). We travelled roughly 3,700 miles by car from Limerick door to door and not including Ferries/Channel Tunnel.

We are enthusiastic travellers, we get itchy feet if we stay anywhere for longer than about 5 minutes, and we still found our agenda too much.

We did see some wonderful things (trip report will emerge in the next few days) but I think you need to focus on one or two areas rather than flitting from one to another and losing time travelling.

What are your priorities?

If its old chateaux, good wines and riverside living, then the Loire area of France is for you, If its military history, then Normandy or Picardy in France are brilliant.

You need to think about what you want from this trip - our trip was badly planned because of a number of issues going on behind the scenes and we did find it impacted on us.

5. Re: What could I cover in 20 days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2011, 06:17