We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Itinerary Paris-Dijon-Lyon-Nice

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
147 posts
127 reviews
Save Topic
Help with Itinerary Paris-Dijon-Lyon-Nice

I am planning a Ladies trip in July (1-14),we are in our early 50's and I plan on arriving in Paris and departng from Nice . WE both have been to Paris, so I only plan to stay one night stay in Paris , I would like to visit Dijon and Lyon as I haven't been to either, and my friend wants to end in Monaco/Nice , Any suggestions would help. I don't mind renting a car or taking a train, whichever would make a better experiance. Thank You

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Itinerary Paris-Dijon-Lyon-Nice

Travel by train would be quite straightforward with plenty of trains on each leg of your proposed itinerary. There is also quite good public transporrt around Dijon, Lyon and Nice if you want to get out of the cities. For lower fares book in advance - tickets are available 90 days before departure - using www.tgv-europe.com saying that you are from anywhere other than USA, to avod being transferred to raileurope.com. For July, getting a booking as near as possible to the 90 day point will be particularly important for the Lyon-Nice journey.

You will find the the TA forums for each of the three cities are helpful and, in my experience, the Tourist Offices in Dijon and Lyon are articularly good.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
147 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Itinerary Paris-Dijon-Lyon-Nice

So you would take the train Paris-Dijon,Dijon-Lyon, and pick up a car in Lyon to go to Nice through Provance ,or take the train Lyon- Nice and not drive through Provance?

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with Itinerary Paris-Dijon-Lyon-Nice

With the better part of two weeks to play with I think I would take the TGV to Dijon and rent a car spending 3-4 days exploring Burgundy and then driving south to Lyon for a couple of nights before heading on to western Provence. Spend another 3-4 days exploring part of this region perhaps from a base in a smaller village near St. Rémy (I would prefer not to stay IN St. Rémy in July...) and then you could either drive to Nice or drop the car in Avignon or Aix-en-Provence and take the train to Nice for the balance of your stay. You really do not want or need a car in this part of France in July. The trains and/or buses will get you to the places along the coast and many of the inland villages much more easily at that time of year.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
147 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with Itinerary Paris-Dijon-Lyon-Nice

Do you think I should just do it all by train or the train/ car option gives me better ability to explore Dijon (Burgundy) Lyon and drive to Avigon to drop off car and take train to Nice?

5. Re: Help with Itinerary Paris-Dijon-Lyon-Nice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2011, 05:15