We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Petrol Shortage and Driving Problems in France

Oman
4 posts
Save Topic
Petrol Shortage and Driving Problems in France

I have have planned to drive back home to Spain though on the 25th Oct ,reading the news, it sounds as if there will be a problem with petrol, I always take the toll roads in France, has anybody out there driven through France in the last few days, or could anybody update me.

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
489 reviews
from US$73.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,167 reviews
from US$109.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
584 reviews
from US$51.80*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$302.10*
US$335.60
North London
Level Contributor
2 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Petrol Shortage and Driving Problems in France

This post is to join in with the general air of anxiety. I am due to drive from Calais to Angouleme, starting this evening, stopping off in Rouen. Any news about the availability of petrol would be greatly appreciated. There seems to be no reliable sources of information currently.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Petrol Shortage and Driving Problems in France

The best specific information I have been able to find is via the links on this page from France24. Not surprisingly the most current and specific information is only available on French language sites but online translation tools will help if that is a problem for you.

france24.com/en/20101019-france-strike-short…

FWIW I have been in touch within the last 2-3 days with family members and/or friends in Rouen, the Nantes area, and in south-west and south-east France (Gers and inland Var) and they have told me that people are still able to get fuel without major problems in those areas.

Oman
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Petrol Shortage and Driving Problems in France

Thanks for the info and link, I reckon I will give another week before I travel through France !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

North London
Level Contributor
2 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Petrol Shortage and Driving Problems in France

We set of for Angouleme Wednesday evening - there is petrol in some stations, but not all, there are queues, there is rationing, and more worryingly there are random blockades.

We got to Rouen, couldn't find a hotel and eventually decided to come home. The hotels were all full because no-one is going home ; they're frightened of not finding petrol. On the way back we ran into about a hundred lorries blocking the entrance to Boulogne.

There is petrol but as one lady told me, you have to be at the right petrol station at the right time.With a 24hr general strike threatened for Tuesday we're glad we came home. Phoning friends in Poitou Charente they said we were mad to even think about trying to cross France.

Surrey
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Petrol Shortage and Driving Problems in France

We are planning a trip to the charente maritime area leaving from England next Tuesday 26th October, travelling via Rouen, Le Mans, Poitiers. Any news re situation on diesel availability on the motorways would be appreciated.

UK
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Petrol Shortage and Driving Problems in France

Don't go! French friends who live in the Charente can't get petrol.

sydney
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Petrol Shortage and Driving Problems in France

We are due to arrive in Tours tomorrow (25/10) and will be travelling around the region of Angers. If any one could give us an update about the current petrol situation around these areas it would be much much appreciated. And also, if any one has recommendations and where best to find petrol?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
12,603 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Petrol Shortage and Driving Problems in France

The web address for the site that shows where fuel stations are empty can be found at www.carbeo.fr. The website is in French so I hope you can figure out how to navigate around it. Here it is:

www.carbu.fr/stationsvides_v2.html?dep=14

Using the drop down box above the map you can select a department and get a map for that department.

If you click on the link below you will get the price of gas and the locations where there are gas stations with fuel. On the home page on the left you can enter either a town name (Indiquez une commune) or choose a department (Sélectionnez un Département). Or you can click on the map. When you click on the type of fuel you are searching for remember that gazole is diesel. Diesel is the most affected at the moment since 70% of French cars run on diesel. If the gazole column has two dashes in it (--) this means there is no fuel of that type.

www.prix-carburants.gouv.fr

Using the links I have provided may be the easiest way for you to decide how to plan your routes accordingly. Hope this helps.

sydney
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Petrol Shortage and Driving Problems in France

Thank you so much for your help! Obviously we are rather anxious about fuel shortage in the middle of the countryside in a place we are completely unfamiliar with so I can't thank you enough for the information!

Argenton-sur-Creuse...
Level Contributor
84 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Petrol Shortage and Driving Problems in France

Giving updated information is not easy as there may be petrol at a petrol station in the morning but not in the afternoon. There seems to be more stations with petrol and diesel on the motorways. My family drove from the centre up to Paris and back last week ( trains were cancelled and Disney hotel booked!) They got diesel up and back. However when I took them to the airport at Poiteirs there was nothing available from Argenton to Poitiers so it depends where you are and what roads you are travelling on. Be prudent - don't set off with nearly empty tank and you should find on the way.