We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TGV from CDG After a Long Haul Flight

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,769 posts
380 reviews
Save Topic
TGV from CDG After a Long Haul Flight

We are thinking about the possibility of arriving at CDG in the morning from either Bangkok or Hong Kong, and jumping straight onto the TGV heading to Nimes, as we have no particular need to desire to go into Paris this trip.

I guess there wouldn't be anywhere in CDG where a shower could be had to freshen up from the flight, would there? (yes, its cattle class as usual!)

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,942 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TGV from CDG After a Long Haul Flight

No, not unless you plunk down the cash for one of the premium flyer clubs.

Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
6,811 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TGV from CDG After a Long Haul Flight

CDG airport has all the charm and facilities that make 3rd world airports look like luxury. At Roissypôle there is an Ibis hotel that rents rooms by the hour. I don't see any other solution.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,942 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TGV from CDG After a Long Haul Flight

It's no different than any other large international airport -- I can't think of another airport anywhere that DOES have showers other than in the flying clubs.

Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
6,811 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TGV from CDG After a Long Haul Flight

Kuala Lumpur has an in-terminal airside hotel where one can pay to have a shower.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,942 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TGV from CDG After a Long Haul Flight

my point would be that international airports with showers available to non-flying-club members are the exception and not the rule...which would mean that CDG and its facilities are not that far away from normal.

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
Level Contributor
7,306 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TGV from CDG After a Long Haul Flight

There used to be showers at CDG - maybe 15/20 years ago. I remember using them and they were free.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,942 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TGV from CDG After a Long Haul Flight

There used to be showers at a lot of airports a long time ago...but they've gone the way of free drinks and real silverware.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,769 posts
380 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TGV from CDG After a Long Haul Flight

Thanks folks for the responses- I'm thinking a night at the Sheraton CDG might not be such a bad idea!

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TGV from CDG After a Long Haul Flight

If you're going to stop overnight anyway why not head into the city and spend the night in Paris? Then you could take a direct train from Gare de Lyon of which there are many more than there are from CDG. The fares if booked far enough in advance at www.tgv-europe.com would probably be significantly lower too. That also gets you around the problem of how much time to allow to make the connection at CDG if you are not through-booked to Nîmes.

IMO airport hotels are to be used when you have no alternative because you are arriving in the evening and have a very early flight out the next day or something of the sort.

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,638 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: TGV from CDG After a Long Haul Flight

I would think that you might want to consider what time it will be when your flight arrives at CDG.

If it is early in the day, why not just get on the TGV heading toward Nimes, and take you shower when you check in at your destination. That way you haven't "wasted a day" at an airport hotel - instead you can spend the remainder of the day exploring Nimes, and having a nice dinner. The next morning, you will wake up in the right time zone, where you wanted to be on your first real whole day in France, instead of getting up at CDG and having to look foreward to spending a part of that day in transit South.

Another option would be to just fly South instead of taking the train.

Edited: 17 November 2010, 20:36