We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report: A beautiful weekend in Burgundy

Paris, France
Level Contributor
12,617 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report: A beautiful weekend in Burgundy

The gray Parisian weather left for a few days so I took advantage of the opportunity and along with the Mrs. headed to Burgundy for the weekend. It was a lovely weekend. I'm quite sure you'll agree if you have a look at my report and the multitude of beautiful pictures that are in it.

http://tinyurl.com/5tnu86r

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
490 reviews
from US$73.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,167 reviews
from US$109.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
585 reviews
from US$51.80*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$301.60*
US$335.10
MD
Level Contributor
750 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report: A beautiful weekend in Burgundy

France has so many beautiful areas, and once again you manage to find special places we don't read much about on the travel forums.

My husband is waiting to get his hands on the keyboard so he can read your report. Everybody who sees this is going to want to go to that area, and that includes us.

I hope you don't get tired of compliments. How about this time I just say "ditto" to my comments on your previous trip reports?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,540 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report: A beautiful weekend in Burgundy

Brought back many fond memories. Semur en Auxois was our first real French village nickbooth.id.au/Images/…Semur.jpg

and last trip we stopped at Noyers. Nick, ever on the lookout for signs, got this one you might have missed

nickbooth.id.au/Images/…368Sign.jpg which sort of explained the cat pee smell I was noticing around France.

Gorgeous excursion. Wish we didn't have to come so far.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,775 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report: A beautiful weekend in Burgundy

:-) lynnb48,

Those 'Défense d'uriner' signs used to be pretty common, you still see them around from time to time. A much more welcoming sign in Semur is this one, Semur's motto:

http://tinyurl.com/6d8s9zu

"The people of Semur love meeting strangers" (Sebastian Münster, 1552)

However, this quote is only a small part of a far more raunchy description of those crazy Burgundians who seemed to hate the French but sheep... not so much!

http://tinyurl.com/5uuq3sm

The text is in old French but modesty precludes me from translating it on a public forum!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
12,617 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report: A beautiful weekend in Burgundy

Cloverdale1 and lynnb48 - Thank you so much for once again reading one of my reports. I'm nearly famous (in my own mind) with at least 12 people now. I wanted to let you know that I have edited my report to include the fascinating tale which Mrs. FMT has just related in her recent reply. It is absolutely unbelievable so if you want to go back to the report you will find this discussed in "Reply #7". You won't be disappointed.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report: A beautiful weekend in Burgundy

Mrs. French Mystique, being friendly with the local sheep is a time honored local tradition throughout the world, but the anecdote is indeed exceptional, and I heartily recommend it to all persons of appropriate maturity.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,540 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report: A beautiful weekend in Burgundy

Fabulous story, I read it to Nick with great merriment.

But we are looking forward to the trip in 2011 and travelling France again. From Sablet to Provence to Paris via the Loire and Brittany this time.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
12,617 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report: A beautiful weekend in Burgundy

kerouac - After first declining the shepherds offer to join the fun I wonder what made our traveler friend change his mind? I hope I never find myself in "the Frenchman's position".

lynnb48 - Such a delightful tale. I'll be on the look-out for more of these. Hope your trip planing is coming along well.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report: A beautiful weekend in Burgundy

Yet another in a series of great trip reports, F_M! Thanks!

On the topic of the number of your fans you should perhaps bear in mind that great enterprises often become great not because of the number of their followers but through the quality of their leader.... ;-)

Loved the hysterical sheep story! Reminds me of an old joke about the senior officer in the British India army who was cashiered after being caught in flagrante in rather similar circumstances. The punch line (to be read with the most Pukka Sahib accent possible) is: "Good heavens, no! There's nothing strange about old Carruthers!" I leave the rest to your imagination...

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
26,214 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report: A beautiful weekend in Burgundy

great report -- we spent a week in Semur this summer and loved just driving around and following signs to nearby towns, churches, old chateaux etc -- it is fun to just follow the great French signposts -- and sometimes NEVER find the things they are leading you too

this is my favorite part of France -- although the Dordogne is hard to beat as well

love your pictures

Paris, France
Level Contributor
12,617 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report: A beautiful weekend in Burgundy

IrishRover - LOL re: sheep quote. Thanks for reading.

Signed,

Your Leader :)

Janet - My wife and I enjoy your blog and have read many of your posts, including the one on Semur. Yes, those roads signs sometimes take you nowhere. Or perhaps it's because they neglect to tell you that the marked attraction is actually 40km away. Happens to us frequently when searching for megaliths marked on the Michelin maps. We call them invisible megaliths.

Edited: 23 January 2011, 17:56