We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving around france, spain and/or italy

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
driving around france, spain and/or italy

hi,

my boyfriend and i were considering borrowing his parents campervan in july. our plan is to travel down the coast of france to spain or across to italy. we have at least 2 weeks and up to a month to do this. we have a budget of £1000-1700.

my problem is that my boyfriend has always gone to indonesia, australia and thailand on holidays as he loves bodyboarding, so he is a bit sceptical about what europe has to offer in the way of surf and interesting things to do. both of us love generally exploring, good food, chilling out on beaches and places with a good nightlife-both clubs and bars.

please could someone advise me on a few great surf spots and places we could go on walks and explore would be great! if anyone knows of particularly beautiful places that we could drive to, find cheap but good places to eat etc i would be so grateful! i really want to wow him with this holiday!

thanks!

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving around france, spain and/or italy

I'm no surfing expert, but I imagine that if you have to include some opportunities for him to surf, then you would be best sticking to the west coast of Europe. The Med is very calm, so no good for big waves. One place I know that does have surfing is Tarifa in Southern Spain - it's west of Gibralter, so is on the Atlantic and not the med. There may well be places on the west coast of France and Portugal, but you will need to do more research.

If you have up to a month (and assuming you want to be on the coast most of the time), I would be tempted to find a few different places in France, Portugal and Spain where there is surfing, and then come back to this forum, and people will be able to answer questions about other things to do in those areas.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,647 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving around france, spain and/or italy

Go Atlantic Coast of France to Spain. Great surf spot of France is Hossegor (apparently), but all along the coast south of the Gironde you should get some opportunities.

www.hossegor.fr/pages/default-galerie.aspx…

Your BF needs to widen his horizons IMO, though. Surfing and Bodyboarding are fun no doubt, but strangely, there IS more to life!! With luck France and Spain will delight and educate him.

Good Luck

PS, Tarifa is the other known surf-spot that I was going to suggest.

http://www.spainonline.com/en/tarifa.htm

3. Re: driving around france, spain and/or italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 08:17