We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When is the best time to visit France?

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
When is the best time to visit France?

We plan to visit France this summer ,is summer a good time to go ?and what are the best cities and sites to visit or to wounder around ?

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,446 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When is the best time to visit France?

Summer is when France is the most crowded with visitors, as that's when most European countries and U.S. tourists have vacations.

It's hard to recommend cities and sights without knowing your interests. I suggest that you get a copy of the Michelin Green Guide to France and do some reading, then return here with specific questions.

France's major cities are Paris, Strasbourg, Dijon, Rouen, Reims, Lyon, Marseille, Arles, and Nice--I've probably left some out, but others here will chime in. How much time will you have? Do you want to use public transport or rent a car once outside Paris?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
163 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When is the best time to visit France?

The best time to go is always Yesterday!

You'll be surprised to hear that, as in the US, France has a tourist season which tends to coincide with school holidays and warm weather! Go in January & its really cold in the North and gets dark early, but there are no queues to get into the museums & galleries & its cheaper.

When you should go depends on what are the alternatives, what are you interested in, what do you want to do, how much cash you have and how much time can you be away. I agree with Catullus, be more specific.

At the moment I'm looking at good weather, food and wine and the Tour de France - so that means the Alps, Southern France and July!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,710 posts
965 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When is the best time to visit France?

I recommend going in September. The weather is generally very good and it is less crowded than the summer.

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When is the best time to visit France?

I have been twice in the summer to Paris, and once in October, and I preferred October. You will be doing ALOT of walking, and Paris does get hot in the summer. It was not too busy in October, and we had no rain, and it was still warm enough to wear jeans and a tshirt with a light coat in the evening.

2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: When is the best time to visit France?

Did you go in juliy to Paris if so what's the weather like

2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: When is the best time to visit France?

Did you go in juliy to Paris if so what's the weather like

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,446 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When is the best time to visit France?

In July Paris can be hot and humid or cool and even chilly. There's no good way to predict which it will be.

8. Re: When is the best time to visit France?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 04:17