We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental insurance in france

WI
7 posts
Save Topic
car rental insurance in france

I will be getting the CDW insurance by using my credit card. What about liability insurance? Is it needed? I have only seen getting the whole package which is very expensive or just going with the credit card CDW?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
14,953 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental insurance in france

Are you sure that this is posted on the correct forum?

WI
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental insurance in france

sorry-

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
8,052 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental insurance in france

Hi

I always use Economy Car Rentals when I'm hiring a car. The almost always come out much much cheaper and the insurance they offer has no excess. We've used them several times, in Germany, the Czech Republic and the UK and it has always been a very smooth transaction. Give them a try.

Jackie

WI
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental insurance in france

thank you.

what do you mean insurance has no excess?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,244 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental insurance in france

British English "excess" = US English "deductible".

WI
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: car rental insurance in france

thank you-

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
731 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: car rental insurance in france

Hi all,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this subject. I wanted to pop in and mention that I have moved this topic from the Train Travel forums, here, to the France forums where it will be more visible to those with similar questions and experiences.

Good luck with your research, hodagWi!

Happy travels!

TA_Louise

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,665 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car rental insurance in france

To answer the original question, all cars rented in France come with liability insurance. You should be fine with only your credit card insurance. You must decline insurance offered at the rental desk for the CC insurance to cover you.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
20,856 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car rental insurance in france

Insurance can be a complicated subject. One thing is sure, the insurance offered by rental companies is very expensive and often has very high deductibles.

Credit card insurance covers CDW but confirm what else might be covered such as theft. Additionally, CC insurance is secondary insurance meaning you first pay for all damage and are reimbursed by your CC company if your claim is accepted.

The best coverage of which I am aware is offered by American Express. AE offers complete, primary coverage for a period of up to 42 days for only $25:

https:/…

Hong Kong, China
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: car rental insurance in france

I also note that economy car rentals offers quite a good price. Seems the price covers most of the things. I just hate sudden extras to be paid later. I am not sure whether I should buy additional insurance for the car damage. My travel insurance will cover the personal accident and third party liability. Will anybody help me on the insurance issue?

Edited: 21 August 2011, 07:40