We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight family accommodation-Calais to Perpignan journey

London, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Overnight family accommodation-Calais to Perpignan journey

We are a family of 5 (son aged 6 and twin daughters aged 4) travelling from Calais to Perpignan at the beginning of August. We intend to make the journey over 2 days, so we are looking for somewhere roughly half way to stopover. We are not 100% sure of the best route to take - should we avoid Paris periphery completely?

I had in mind a small town for the stopover night, obviously not too far off of the main road, where we can have an evening meal and let the children burn off some energy. In short, have a pleasant evening after what is possibly going to be a bit of a hellish day!

I have also heard from friends that finding family accommodation for 5 will be difficult.

Any ideas where we should start???

Luang Prabang, Laos
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight family accommodation-Calais to Perpignan journey

I would suggest this route ;Calais-Rouen-Evreux-Dreux-Chartres-Orleans-Lmoges-Toulouse-Narbonn-Perpignan.You won't pay to much toll and this is easy to do in two days.

If you just want a stopover,there are plenty motels along French motorways.

Hope this helps

Franky Guide2Languedoc

Montpellier, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Montpellier
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight family accommodation-Calais to Perpignan journey

It is about 1150 kms and 10 - 11 hrs from Calais if you take the usual route :

Calais / Dunkirk / Boulogne

CDG

Francilienne

A10 to Orleans

A71 to Clermont Ferrand

A75 to Beziers

A9 to Perpignan

The Francilienne and A75 Clermont Ferrand to Beziers are toll free leaving around €70 payable for the rest of the journey.

St Flour is an ancient village/town with hotels. It is about 7 hrs from Calais. With an early start that allows arrival in the evening.

From St Flour onwards, the A75 is stunning and you should have time for a swim and nice lunch stop before arriving in Perpignan.

Peter

Worcester, England...
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight family accommodation-Calais to Perpignan journey

Hi I've just see your post and am making the same trip with our 3 children this summer. I have made notes of what the other 2 replies said, but wondered whether your experience can shed any more light on the best route and how you got on finding accomodation for 5. On looking around, there is not much and the motels seem to sleep a max of 4 or you have to get 2 rooms?

Thanks, Cat

Essex
Level Contributor
28,526 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight family accommodation-Calais to Perpignan journey

Being as this thread is nearly a year old, and that the OP, Scooper1976 never returned to TA at all (still shows has 1 fourm post only) with any feedback, doubt you will hear from him again, Catherine Y.

Suggest you start a new thread to discuss your own particular issues.

For route planning in France, however, you might find this website useful:

http://www.viamichelin.com/

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight family accommodation-Calais to Perpignan journey

Hi,

I never posted anything else on TA as I had trouble logging on!

We stayed at the same hotel for both journey to and from Perpignan and I would highly recommend - it was called All Seasons, in Bourges - v. reasonably priced. Couple of minutes off of the A71, it had a swimming pool which was great to let the kids burn off some energy. We all shared 1 room, a studio with upstairs, which slept 4 people but the hotel set up a camp bed to accommodate our family of 5. The breakfast was good. Only downside was that the restaurants within walking distance weren't great and we weren't keen to get back into the car to travel for food! (no dinner in hotel)

We travelled via Rouen, Evereux, Orleans, Vierzon, Clermont Ferrand etc. on the way to Perpignan, but decided to drive into Paris on the way home and stop off to show the kids the Eiffel Tower - I think we got more out of the detour than they did! We didn't find the traffic that bad in Paris, but I guess it depends on the day/time.

It was a long journey, with lots of DVD watching and some napping but it was great to have all of our stuff when we got to the campsite, esp. bikes.

Give me a shout if you want any more info.

Best of luck!

Sue

Essex
Level Contributor
28,526 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overnight family accommodation-Calais to Perpignan journey

OH a result!!

Thanks from me, Scooper1975!!

All Seasons, by the way, is now another 'budget-ish' chain belonging to Accor Hotels that (actually good) French owned Hotel Conglomorate!!

Should find some deals on the Accor site, with luck!

Bon Voyage!!

EW

Worcester, England...
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overnight family accommodation-Calais to Perpignan journey

Hi Sue

Thank you so much for getting back to me. I realised that after a year, it might be a long shot to get a reply, but i'm glad I tried!!

I had not seen this chain of hotels, so it's another string to our bow and if they can set up a camp bed to accomodate the 5 of us, that would be excellent!

Thanks also Essex Wanderer for the Michelin route planner. I have seen this one and am just deciding if the non toll roads are OK, or if it is necessary to pay the tolls for ease, bearing in mind that we will have children with us!!!!

Merci beaucoup!

Cat

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,614 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Overnight family accommodation-Calais to Perpignan journey

One advantage of the toll motorways apart from the speed of getting from A to B,is that every few miles you will come across an "aire" which is a rest area with toilets. Some of these have play areas for the little ones to let off some steam. Even if they do not have a play area they can still have a run around. If you find that the toilets are holes in the ground then used the toilet for disabled people.

Have a good trip

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Overnight family accommodation-Calais to Perpignan journey

With kids that age, I would get the journey done, rather than spend 2 full days pootling along. For me, that means autoroutes. However, if you are travelling on a Friday or Saturday in August you may find that the traffic on certain parts of the French autoroute network is horrendous (like heading for Cornwall on a Bank holiday Friday/saturday, only worse). However, the French handily have a traffic planner which shows when the worst of the predicted jams will be which are, generally, between Paris and the coast (but not the Channel coast north of Normandy), or anywhere near the coast on a changeover day. This website shows more, however

…gouv.fr/en/rubrique.php3…

For hotels, there is a good chain called Novotel who have interconnecting rooms and do a deal whereby if you book one room, the 2nd is half price and kids get free breakfast. They have a good children's menu, an outdoor pool, and an outdoor and indoor play area. We've used them for years and they are fine for this sort of stay.

http://www.novotel.com/gb/home/index.shtml

evereux
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Overnight family accommodation-Calais to Perpignan journey

sir

i use the route every year .do ot use the toll rds(cost) only to X the pont de normandy at honfleur

just stop by the road anything after say 6pm and you will find plenty of accomodation

best wishes

a l eastwood (Mr.)