We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

France in february

Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
France in february

Im gonna get married on february/2012 and we are planing to go to france. The more i read about traveling to france on february, the more dissapointed i get. However, february its our only choice. Do u guys have any recomendation?

I was planning to add another city like london. Any thoughts?

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: France in february

You won't get any helpful advice until you tell us what you would like to do, what your interests are and why you are disappointed by going in February. February in Europe is not going to be warm wherever you go, unless you head for the Canary islands. Southern Europe will obviously be less cold than the north, but the weather will be unpredictable.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,378 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: France in february

add to that how long you plan to be in France, some idea of a budget....Declaring you're going to France just isn't enough information for anyone to give you useful information.

Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: France in february

Thanks for the fast response. Well, I'm kind of disappointed because as Macfarrag was saying, every post regarding Paris in February says that the weather its very unpredictable, meaning it can be really cold, rainy, etc. The problem here is that my girlfriend doesn't like cold weather very much (we live in the Dominican Republic). However, Europe its where we wanna go and as i said on my other post, I'm getting married on February, so its our only choice.

I'm gonna be 12 days (not sure if only in Paris). My budget its about 4.000/5.000 Us dollars(not including the plane tickets). We love food, Wine tasting, Vineyards,museums, and everything that great cities like Paris, Rome, etc have; lots of places to visit.

Its kind of hard to decide where to go. And I know that you guys probably would say that 12 days isn't enough time to go to several cities. However, we wanna see at least 2 or 3 more.

Maybe something like this:

2 days at London

4 Days at Paris

2 days "destination"

4 days "destination"

I was checking plane tickets on Ryanair or easyjet, and we can probably fly each country for about 60 euros/p.

Lets stop here so you guys dont get list in too many words.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,121 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: France in february

if you want to honeymoon in Europe in Winter expect it to be gray, dark, cold -- if that doesn't appeal then postpone the honeymoon to spring -- there is no law that your wedding trip has to be right after the wedding -- you could vacation for a few days in the Carribean and then do your big high ticket trip when the weather in Europe is likely to be better

but big cities like Paris are great winter destinations -- cultural things like operas are up and running, there are many great indoor attractions

the least fun part is the moving from city to city -- uprooting from the hotel, catching the train, wasted time on the train, getting to the new hotel and getting settled -- so for so little time, I'd be inclined to visit no more than two locations and really enjoy those -- and you could get a studio apartment that would give you a kitchenette for storing champagne and cheese and treats -- you could get breakfast pastries each morning in local bakeries which is fun and saves lots of money -- on some nights you might pick up a roast chicken and sides and eat in -- in February you are in low season for apartments and might get something well located and nice for a very reasonable price

London is also a great winter city for similar reasons

choose those two -- spend some time there and reframe your expectations

if you must cover more ground -- at least don't do fewer than 4 nights in a place -- 4 nights is only 3 days -- there is no point at all in spending only two nights in London -- it is all logistics and getting situated and almost no time to even scratch the surface

you might fly into London spend 4 nights, then train to Paris and spend another 4 and then fly to Rome for 4 more and fly back from there (open jaw tickets are a great idea and no more expensive than RT) if you do this arrange the train very early to take advantage of early cheap fares

and weather is not really unpredictable in February -- you can pretty much plan on it being rainy, dark and cold/chilly -- a bright sunny day would be a blessing but not an expectation

Edited: 01 June 2011, 17:35
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,378 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: France in february

I agree with Janet -- why not take a quick day or two as a honeymoon getaway, and postpone your actual honeymoon for later in the spring when the weather is nicer?

Keep these things in mind as you plan:

-- your first day will be largely lost to getting from the airport to your hotel, and you'll be very foggy from the jet lag. You won't be settled and leaving your hotel until nearly noon, and you need to plan to take it easy and stay outdoors and mobile.

-- you need two nights in any given location to get one full day of sightseeing.

-- you lose at least a half a day, and usually more than that, every time you change cities. You can salvage a few hours, but it's a long way from being a whole day.

-- your last day tends to be pretty much a loss, too, as getting to the airport so that you're at the airport 3 hours before departure (necessary for North American-bound flights -- and Caribbean!) pretty much eats the morning. Again, you might manage an hour or two, but it's mostly shot.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: France in february

Another option is to avoid Paris and London and spend your time further south - maybe Rome, Seville and Marseilles? It may still be cold, but you will have more chance of milder weather and some sunny days.

And, by the way, you won't find any vineyards in any of the three cities you have mentioned. It may be easier to spend four days in southern France and find out about short day trips to vineyards for wine tasting. You could probably do this from Paris too, but it may mean travelling further.

Edited: 02 June 2011, 09:54
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: France in february

Thanks for all the good advices. Im gonna stick with London and Paris, I think we will enjoy it the most this way. Do u guys think its better to go from london to paris by train or by plain? (cheaper).

We are very interested in cultural attractions, Jannet, the idea of the Opera is great, I'm defenetly going to look that up, any specific theater?

macfarrag, the idea of going south its great too but I've never been in paris or london, so im really exited about visiting these cities.

I know each city has places that we must visit, any strong recomendations?

Again, thanks again for the help.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,378 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: France in february

Actually, by the time you add in the cost of getting to and from the airports, there's not much cost savings in flying, and you have to faff around getting to the airport, waiting to check in, waiting for security, then (for you) passport control, baggage claim, and futzing around getting back into the city...you lose most of a day with all of this.

It's WAY easier, and certainly no more expensive to just take the train -- you get on the train in one city, and you step off of the train in the other city. There's still a passport check, but it's actually done as part of the check-in process at the Eurostar desk, so when you get to London you pick up your bag, step off the train, and go off on your way.

Don't forget to count the TOTAL cost of the airplane ticket, too...these days, the 9 euro round trip comes with a booking fee, a seating fee, a baggage check fee, a check-in fee...by the time you really add it all up, it's not that much cheaper than the train, and a LOT more stress.

Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: France in february

What about the hotel location. I was reading that hotels near the eiffel tower are not in the best locations cause its far from almost everything.

10. Re: France in february

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 14:19