We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London & Paris - hostels and attractions?!

Save Topic
London & Paris - hostels and attractions?!

I am looking at traveling to London then on to Paris for about a week in mid September this year.

I am traveling solo and would LOVE to know of anyone can recommend some great but cheap hostels in London and Paris that are in close proximity to the main areas?!

Also - what are a few MUST see and do thing while I'm there?

Could anyone tell me about the cruise down the siene, the lourve, Eiffel tower etc? And what to see and do in London?

It's not a long trip - so just the must do things!

Also how much would u recommend taking for spending $$ - I am not a huge shopper, maybe just a trinket here and there, food and alcohol!!!

Any help would be fantastic!!

Hebden Bridge...
Level Contributor
810 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London & Paris - hostels and attractions?!

hostels: www.hostelbookers.com

For the sights, check a guidebook or browse in the forums for a while. there are hundreds and hundreds....

Toronto
Level Contributor
938 posts
455 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London & Paris - hostels and attractions?!

I'm way too old to know anything about hostels but Paris is my favourite place to visit (so far)!

Paris must see & do, we don't dawdle when we visit museums hence the times if your short on time: Versailles (half a day including return train trip); Louvre (2 to 3 hours); Orangerie - oh the water lilies (30 minutes); d'Orsay - the impressionists (1 to 2 hours); Eiffel Tower - go at 5:00 p.m. or later for a shorter line up; stroll from the Louvre to the Arc de Triomphe along the Champs Elysee - day or evening. I love visiting L'Opera Garnier as it's a beautiful building - unfortunately I've never been in Paris when there's a live performance there. You have to see Notre Dame (or home of the hunch back as I tell my young niece) but it's further down my list. Just walk and walk and walk - the arhcitecture and the people watching is great. My 20 something niece & nephew loved visiting the catacombs.

We did the Seine cruise on our fourth visit and it's so-so - you see as much/more by walking around but some feel it's romantic. We didn't feel it's worth the cost - try the water bus (part of the metro).

Eating in Paris is not cheap - I advise staying away from main streets/corners. When I went to Rome everyone said you'll be shocked at restaurant prices - when I came back I replied it's not expensive compared to Paris. Menus are posted outside of all restasurants. Try sandwiches, croissants/fruits/ yogurt/cheese from grocery stores as an alternative. If you're shopping at Gallerie Lafayette the cafeteria serves an OK/less expensive lunch. Their gourmet shop is good but a bit pricey (lots of pre-cooked foods).

It's been too long since I've been to London for me to have any clue!

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,337 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London & Paris - hostels and attractions?!

What specific things were you hoping to find out about the Seine river cruises, or the Eiffel tower etc? Hours? Costs?

As for the must sees, if you are in Paris for a week, that will give you lots of time to see alot of things, what are your interests? Are you into spending long hours at the Museums, or interested in Architecture? If you let us know what your interests are, we can make better suggestions more suitable for you.

As for your London questions, I would recommend posting a question on the London board, so you can get more answers there.

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g186338-i17-London_…

4. Re: London & Paris - hostels and attractions?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 23:18