We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Home Away.co.uk safe site?

Level Contributor
33 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Home Away.co.uk safe site?

would like to hear from someone who has rented place trhough Home away.co.uk i'm trying to rent this apt. in Nice no. 5353

the onwer says she live in UK ,bla, bla she wants us to pay through bank /transfer since is private I don't know how safe it . She tells me she has been with them for 12 yrs.

46 replies to this topic
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,056 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Home Away.co.uk safe site?

Homeaway is a pretty venerable source for rental properties.

UK owners who request bank transfer payment are the norm for rental properties in France. If she has a long history with them and good reviews, it's more than likely okay.

I didn't see anything about that listing that raised a red flag (ymmv).

Level Contributor
33 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Home Away.co.uk safe site?

We are trying to contact someone at homeway to hear fr them as you said .would give us more confidence to go ahead with booking, anyway, thanks

chamonix
Level Contributor
107 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Home Away.co.uk safe site?

Hi it's totally normal, we also rent apartments through these guys (in another region of France) and bank transfers are really the only way to pay for no professionals. Private owners won't have credit card facilities and accepting cash means leaving it until you arrive which is too late. Like the person said if they have been with them a while its fine. You just don't want to be the first person to rent from someone. If it was a trick to scam money they would have been taken if the site a long time ago!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,056 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Home Away.co.uk safe site?

You won't hear from Homeaway, as they are the advertising site - they host the webpages and get a fee for their listings.

Homeaway is not an agency and has no control over or affiliation with the property owners whatsoever.

If you are that uncomfortable, then find a hotel, or an agency where you will pay significantly more money to have the comfort of paying with a credit card (which does not in any way guarantee that you will have a flawless experience.)

Level Contributor
33 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Home Away.co.uk safe site?

I appreciate all your responses.

Thank you so much:)

Wollongong
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Home Away.co.uk safe site?

We rented an a[artment in Lucca, no problem. The apartment was fine, but the description on the site did not match the aparment. So we put this in a review, but this review was not published. We contacted Home Away.co.uk for the reason. But no reply. So it looks like they only show positive feedback.

7. Re: Home Away.co.uk safe site?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2013, 15:55

Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Home Away.co.uk safe site?

We had a very bad experience and I am now actually curious to hear if it was always the same guy! The email account of the chalet owner got scammed and I paid the last invoice to a santander account in uk fir a cosmin nahorni! This guy has been gone with 2271€ i do not understand how this works but we must be thousends of scammed people

Edited: 18 February 2013, 21:32
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Home Away.co.uk safe site?

We had a very bad experience and I am now actuslly curious to hear if it was slwsys the ssme guy! The email account of the chalet owner got scammed and I paid the last invoice to a santander account in uk fir a cosmin nahorni! This guy has been gone with 2271€ i do not understand how this works but we must be thousends of scsmmed people

New York City, New...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Home Away.co.uk safe site?

We just got scammed for over $4,000. Phishing. Neither Home away or the owner was very helpful. DON'T BOOK through them!

Reply to: Home Away.co.uk safe site?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted