We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in france

Watford, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
Driving in france

Hi, Im going to france by ferry will be porting at calais. this is my first time driving in Europe and Im a little bit nervous about that but really want to do. Im staying in Saint Malo. Any advises really appreciate. What is the best route to take? Are there any nice places to see before go to saint malo?

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
503 Reviews
from US$72.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,185 Reviews
from US$108.90*
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower...
790 Reviews
from US$123.90*
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower Tour and...
628 Reviews
from US$73.90*
Level Contributor
29,423 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in france

Guess that you are taking your own car from the UK, so remember to keep RIGHT once you get to France - worth putting a sticker on your steering wheel or Dash when you are on the ferry (then once home, remember to keep LEFT - sometimes I find that even more difficult to remember!!)

Overtaking is more difficult as the driver will be sitting to the inside of the lane in our RHD cars, you need a reliable front seat passenger that you can trust implicitly to help you with this.

Lots of information on Driving in France here, with all the documentation and equipment that you MUST take with you, clearly listed. MAKE SURE that you have all your original documents. I make several sets of photocopies of mine, I take one or 2 sets of photocopies with me, leave a couple at home, and also have them all scanned in to my computer. At least that way if you are unlucky enough to loose the originals, you still have all the numbering and other important details to hand.

Once you get into the 'groove' it is not too daunting, but just don't try to be too clever, relax, take a steadier pace than you might do at home, and enjoy the countryside and the journey.

Drive alive also has a route planning facility, but a possibly better one can be found on Viamichelin:

Nouic, Haute Vienne
Level Contributor
94 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in france

One other thing to remember, on entering a village you may see a 70km sign, it is only 70 up to the village sign, then its 50kmph, even though there is no sign, its 50kmph. So as a rule of thumb, in towns and villages only travel at 50kmph.

Have a great time.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
91,835 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in france

At the entry to towns and villages, you will see a white rectangular sign edged in red with the name of the town or village in black. This is the start of the 50 km/h area. As you leave, there is a similar sign with a red diagonal line, and the open road limit of 90 km/h applies.

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in france

This RAC guide may be of help - www.rac.co.uk/driving-abroad/france/

As for the 'best' route - it depends on whether you're in a rush or prefer the scenic route.

It's around 330 miles and would take a minimum of 7 - 8 hours driving using the motorway system, even if you were used to driving in France, and I'd advise an overnight stop about midway through your journey.

That way you can take a relaxing break and gather your thoughts on French driving.

Driving in France, once experienced, is far more enjoyable than the grind of overcrowded British roads and driver attitudes.

Watford, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving in france

Thank you . I prefer scenic route. I have all day to drive from 4am to 8pm.. Unfortunately I have to finish the journey within the day..Please tell me the best scenic route to get there.. Thanks again

Watford, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving in france

Thanks a lot.. The links you have given are very helpful..I will make it my bed time reading..till I get there :)

7. Re: Driving in france

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 03:17