We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bourges

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
382 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Bourges

I don't know why more people don't go to Bourges.

It is a very attractive town with an amazing old town centre, a network of narrow old streets and mediaeval bulidings, as well as an impressive cathedral . The town has a lot of charm , some very nice restaurants and a truly delightful hotel right in the middle with its own parking ( the Best Western Hotel D'Angleterre -an absolute gem) There is plenty to see in the neighbouring countryside, and it is not far from Burgundy or the Loire Valley if you are heading that way.

I recommend Bourges to anyone planning a trip through this part of France, if you are an independent traveller looking for somewhere charming, attractive, historic, and devoid of tour busses!

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bourges

I couldn't agree more. I think the reason more people don't go to Bourges is that it is really in a kind of tourist "dead zone" between the Loire valley and Burgundy in one direction or between Paris and the Dordogne valley in the other.

It does make a great overnight or even lunch stop for anyone who happens to be passing close by. There is indeed a lot worth exploring in the immediate vicinity if you are the kind of person who likes to see what there is in the parts of France that are not visited by every coach tour.

Glad you liked the city and thanks for the post!

Tonbridge
Level Contributor
4 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bourges

Went here by accident - it was a convenient distance for an overnight stop on the way home - serendidpity is the word - absolutely magical! The cathedral is an absolute gem (went to Chartres the next day and Bourges takes the crown). There were son et lumiere displays all over town and it was all truly wonderful. Next year it will feature as a longr stopover.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bourges

I agree. Although it is too long since I visited, I recall that I visited the cathedral soon after it opened in the morning when this magnifient gothic building was deserted except for an unseen organist. Also in that general area, Nevers is well worth visiting.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,810 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bourges

"Printemps de Bourges" is a yearly music festival:

http://www.printemps-bourges.com/

Takapuna, New...
Level Contributor
3,479 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bourges

We make a point of including Bourges in our travels when we are in the area, during Les "Nuits Lumière". Truly a beautiful city to walk around and the impressive Cathédrale Saint Etienne. Our visit this year coincided with a photo exhibition themed on "Water" printed on steel panels around the garden beside the cathedral. Sadly some low-life had keyed a large number of the prints. We were also there during "Un Eté à Bourges" an annual music festival and were fortunate to experience the free energetic jazz concert by Peter Lipa (Slovakia) and Ruggero Robin (Italy).

bourges-tourisme.com/langues/…A8re.html

ville-bourges.fr/culture-loisirs/ete-bourges…

LeMans is another city that gets overlooked, maybe because of its association with motor racing. It has a beautiful old town centre with a magic light show.

6. Re: Bourges

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2013, 10:15