We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bugeting for a young couple

florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Bugeting for a young couple

Hello,

I was hoping I could get some help for daily budgeting. We are going to be going to/from as far as Madrid making the arch up through France and as far out as Budapest, but more likely start/or finish in Germany. We like to do things quickly and see as much as we can in a short time. for example, last summer we did Rome, Pisa, Florence, and Venice in 3 days. We didn't do any museums or expensive things, but did get to see all the sights. This time around we have slightly better incomes (but not by much) and hope to spend a little more time than a day to see Paris and London (we'd maybe be there for 2 days total at most, each).

So including that, we are hope to be over there for 15 days. Rail passes and flight are taken care of, and we'd like an obviously rough, but helpful daily budget for travel including the time in the big expensive cities. We like to stay at hostels with a private room (shared bath is okay).

Any info would be helpful! thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Madrid
Madrid
Community of Madrid, Spain
France
France
Europe
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Germany
Germany
Europe
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
London
London
England, UK
Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bugeting for a young couple

It is difficult to advise you on this without knowing more about what you like doing and what you want to see. You need to do some research and read some guide books so that you can narrow down your options, particularly if you intend to "do" huge cities in one day.

Personally, I think it is crazy to say that you have "done" Venice, Rome, Pisa and Florence in three days. There is no way you will have got to "see all the sights" or taken the time to get a feel for where you are - all you will have is a blur of memories of train stations and hostels and a set of photographs of monuments. For example, seeing Venice is more about exploring the tiny streets and canals away from the hoards of visitors than it is about rushing through St Marks Square to take a picture before rushing on to the next "must-see".

It seems that you think that you can see Europe by just ticking cities and countries off your check list as you fly past on your way to the next train station. My advice would be to prioritise what you want to see and try to spend more than just one day in each place.

As for travelling on a budget/hostel recommendations etc, you probably need to ask this question on the boards of the cities you decide to go to.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Florence
Florence
St. Mark's Square
St. Mark's Square
30,696 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Europe
Europe
World
florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bugeting for a young couple

Thank you for the suggestion. I know it may not be for everyone, but I love the way I travel. Immersing yourself into a new place is great, and there are places that I have spent day after day just exploring an area of a few blocks, but I also love to see (yes, just see) lots of things, people, and places in a short time. I am young and able to to suppress sleep and stretch my days and my feet, so I do. Right now, I often have to sacrifice depth for width.

I also want to say that I know where you are coming from. if someone said they went to some of my favorite places in the world, and said they "saw it in a day", I'd get that feeling that they have NO IDEA what they are talking about.

-NN

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
24,073 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bugeting for a young couple

<<"saw it in a day", I'd get that feeling that they have NO IDEA what they are talking about. >>

On that we can agree.

Argentat, France
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bugeting for a young couple

Having spent time in some wonderful cities, such as Florence, Barcelona, Montreal, Sydney and Bangkok...my advice would be to eat where the locals eat (better value, more authentic cuisine) or grab a cheap snack so as not to waste precious time or money. If possible ( and seeing as you are YOUNG!) get a street map and get about on foot, I can not tell you how much time I have wasted looking for undergrounds or bus stops, waiting about for ages and usually walking is the fastest way to get about! I disagree that you cannot get a feel for a city in a day...if you choose to miss out the museums and restaurants and instead take a route via landmarks, markets and parks, you can come away feeling you have seen alot.

Earlier this year, I met a friend in London, we had both travelled separately by train and only had a few hours together. We started a brisk walk from Victoria Station, went past Buckingham Palace, crossed Green Park, dragged ourselves past the designer stores in Bond Street, up Oxford Street, through Covent Garden and down to Trafalgar Square. We then passed Westminster Abbey and Big Ben, before heading back to Victoria. Oh and we stopped at a noodle-bar for a quick re-fuel! Having lived in London, I can honestly say this was one of the most rewarding days I've spent there and I was surprised how close everything was and how much nicer to avoid public transport altogether. Enjoy your trip!

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Bangkok
Bangkok
195 Reviews
Aix-en-Provence, France
London
London
England, UK
Victoria Palace
Victoria Palace
656 Reviews
Paris, France
Buckingham Palace
Buckingham Palace
23,159 Reviews
London, UK
Green Park
Green Park
1,082 Reviews
London, UK
Bond Street
Bond Street
501 Reviews
London, UK
Oxford Street
Oxford Street
4,253 Reviews
London, UK
Covent Garden
Covent Garden
18,938 Reviews
London, UK
Trafalgar Square
Trafalgar Square
7,091 Reviews
London, UK
Westminster Abbey
Westminster Abbey
19,012 Reviews
London, UK
Big Ben
Big Ben
28,206 Reviews
London, UK
Argentat, France
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bugeting for a young couple

Having spent time in some wonderful cities, such as Florence, Barcelona, Montreal, Sydney and Bangkok...my advice would be to eat where the locals eat (better value, more authentic cuisine) or grab a cheap snack so as not to waste precious time or money. If possible ( and seeing as you are YOUNG!) get a street map and get about on foot, I can not tell you how much time I have wasted looking for undergrounds or bus stops, waiting about for ages and usually walking is the fastest way to get about! I disagree that you cannot get a feel for a city in a day...if you choose to miss out the museums and restaurants and instead take a route via landmarks, markets and parks, you can come away feeling you have seen alot.

Earlier this year, I met a friend in London, we had both travelled separately by train and only had a few hours together. We started a brisk walk from Victoria Station, went past Buckingham Palace, crossed Green Park, dragged ourselves past the designer stores in Bond Street, up Oxford Street, through Covent Garden and down to Trafalgar Square. We then passed Westminster Abbey and Big Ben, before heading back to Victoria. Oh and we stopped at a noodle-bar for a quick re-fuel! Having lived in London, I can honestly say this was one of the most rewarding days I've spent there and I was surprised how close everything was and how much nicer to avoid public transport altogether. Enjoy your trip!

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Bangkok
Bangkok
195 Reviews
Aix-en-Provence, France
London
London
England, UK
Victoria Palace
Victoria Palace
656 Reviews
Paris, France
Buckingham Palace
Buckingham Palace
23,159 Reviews
London, UK
Green Park
Green Park
1,082 Reviews
London, UK
Bond Street
Bond Street
501 Reviews
London, UK
Oxford Street
Oxford Street
4,253 Reviews
London, UK
Covent Garden
Covent Garden
18,938 Reviews
London, UK
Trafalgar Square
Trafalgar Square
7,091 Reviews
London, UK
Westminster Abbey
Westminster Abbey
19,012 Reviews
London, UK
Big Ben
Big Ben
28,206 Reviews
London, UK
6. Re: Bugeting for a young couple

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2012, 03:18